General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Ragtop maintenance?

Old 05-13-2005, 02:12 AM
2Moons

Default Ragtop maintenance?

I'm looking to buy my first Mustang, (model years 2001-2004) and I'm considering a convertible. I live in the midwest, hot humid summers, cold winters, not much snow. It would be just about an everyday driver. I've searched the web for maintenance tips on a convertible top and it sounds like they are a high maintenance item. The ragtop owners I spoke with, Mustang and non-Mustang, all love them. And, claim they don't do anything special to maintain them. I'm looking for feedback from forum members on their experience with convertibles.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:52 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ragtop maintenance?

They are a little higher maintenance if you want the top to last. BUT know that regardless of what you do, at some point you will have to replace the top if you keep it for very long. New tops run $1500+. It ain't cheap. Road noise is a bitch top down or not. I love my convertible, but I've gone back to the hardtop. There is a limited amount of time you can really enjoy the top down, and the hassle associated, for me, wasn't worth the trade off. Trust me, if it's 85°F humid and your stuck in traffic top down, sun beating down, even with A/C cranked it's miserable!!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:56 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

when they installed a new top on my brother in laws old 91 vert they told him to clean it with hand cleaner when it became dirty
Old 05-13-2005, 01:03 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

My father has a 1966 Buick convert that is on the second top he has ever installed on it. It was replaced 20 years ago so if you take care of them they will last. I love my convert, road noise is kinda loud but just get the mach 460 sound system so you can drownd it out with the radio, or if you get a GT then you have the exhaust note. If you can garage the car all the time as well.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I have had my convertible since October and I love it.

I spoke to an upholstery shop and they said you don't have to do anything to it. Just wash the top gently whenever you wash it. It would be wise to garage it to protect the fabric because the sun destroys everything overtime.

My advice is this if you can afford it: Buy an older convertible that has a top that is in great shape. Live with it for a year or two and see if you like it. If you don't like having it for whatever reason, sell it. By getting an older car with a like-new top, it'll resell quicker and you haven't lost a lot of money by trying it out. If you like it, get the car of your dreams!!

You said you live where it's humid. Whatever color car you get, make sure the convertible roof is black. It doesn't show as much wear and the mold isn't as noticable as the lighter colors do over time. This is just what I have noticed here in Georgia where I live which is why I drive a black-roofed vehicle and mine is not garaged either.

One more thing, I don't know if you know this or not, but you can't put the top down if it's wet.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:03 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Good advice guys! I just bought my first vert about a month ago, and have been curious what sort of things I should be doing to keep it in good shape too. Yes I know no matter what eventually it'll need to get replaced, but hopefully not toooooo soon! I'm probably gonna have to drive my car in winter too, and we do get snow here in Ontario Canada.

If I wanted to rub in some sort of cleaner or protectant into the material, what is the best stuff to use?

I was wondering too.. if I was ever in a situation where the top was down and wouldn't go up with the button (dead battery or power top motor, etc) is there a way of manually lifting it up and into place?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:17 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

I just noticed the other day at AutoZone they were carrying some kind of convertible top cleaner. Didn't stop to look, just noticed they had it. Never had anything like that before. If I were keeping mine, I'd look into it.

As far as putting up the top w/o power...good luck. You'd have to fight the hydraulics back up. Be kind of tough. I know I tried to move it around doing some work one time and too lazy to start the car to move it...it don't move much!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 04:47 AM
SShadowSSin
2nd Gear Member

Garage it, Keep it clean, Keep it out of the sun. As far as I'm concerned, the only problem I've had ever with my top in the 7 years I've owned her is the hydraulic motor...Pain pain pain!! Other than that, Well worth it! Highly recommended. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:39 AM
JamesSocal
2nd Gear Member

303 products are supposed to be good for top maintenance. I haven't used it yet, but I have heard good things about it.
http://www.303products.com/main.php
Old 05-15-2005, 01:46 PM
billywade

Great information. I too purchased my first vert about a month ago. It's a '96 and although the car is very clean the top is starting to show some wear. It's white so It's easy to see on close inspection. I bought some stuff at auto zone that seems to work well but I'm going to give that 303 product a try. It sounds like some good stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ragtop maintenance?