General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Final lowering list

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Viridian
2nd Gear Member

Default Final lowering list

Okay, my new rims/tires and lowering plans are finally coming together. I just need a few more items to make sure this is all done properly, and that's where I need your help.

I bought an Eibach Pro Kit for a 1.5" drop all the way around, but I'm wondering about cc plates and shocks.

After doing some reading on this site, I bought some Monroe Sensatrac rear shocks for a Fox GT. Do I need to get the Monroe front shocks/strut assembly or is the stock assembly okay ('02 GT is what I have)? Also, I've been told I'll be okay without cc plate by people on this board, but is that actually true? The guy at Autozone said to go ahead and get them. Will a 4-wheel allignment eliminate the need for cc plates or not?

Thank you,
Old 05-13-2005, 09:43 PM
fastmustangs1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Final lowering list

Yes and no. Some say with a 1.5 drop they do need CC plates and others say they don't. I have an 1.5 drop and didn't need CC plates. Just make sure you ask around for a good alignment shop after you install your Eibach's. Keep an eye on your front tires to see if they are wearing properly.

Good Luck,
Matt
Old 05-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Viridian

Okay, my new rims/tires and lowering plans are finally coming together. I just need a few more items to make sure this is all done properly, and that's where I need your help.

I bought an Eibach Pro Kit for a 1.5" drop all the way around, but I'm wondering about cc plates and shocks.

After doing some reading on this site, I bought some Monroe Sensatrac rear shocks for a Fox GT. Do I need to get the Monroe front shocks/strut assembly or is the stock assembly okay ('02 GT is what I have)? Also, I've been told I'll be okay without cc plate by people on this board, but is that actually true? The guy at Autozone said to go ahead and get them. Will a 4-wheel allignment eliminate the need for cc plates or not?

Thank you,
The link at the very bottom will help you understand my points.

It's your money to do with what you want but here's my two sense:
1) if you buy lowering springs, it's going to change the characteristics of the stock suspension, therefore stock type replacement shocks won't work as well as those designed to work with lowered cars. Different valving, shorter travel. SInce you have to take the shocks/struts almost completely off to change the springs, may as well do the job once and never have to worry about those suspension components again.

2)CC plates, yes you should get them because of the lowered ride height, your wheel camber will be different. The A-arms on your car were designed to provide a specific camber angle at a specific ride height. By lowering the car, that height has changed. Some of the struts used for lowered cars have slotted mounting bolts to give you a slightly wider camber adjustment but the CC plates will take care of that and allow you to adjust Caster. This helps in front-end tracking. Notice how your mustang or any of them for that matter, wander over uneven roads? That's because the Caster is almost at 0.

3) Mustangs don't have 4-wheel alignment. Only two (front wheels) can be aligned.

http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm
Old 05-16-2005, 12:36 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

I see your a UNI fan. I live in Waterloo/ Cedar Falls Iowa area. I have a 95 stang gt vert and lowered it 2 inches. Not sure if there is much difference between the specs, but I had put in new Tokico shocks/struts (fox body 87-93), caster/camber plates, and used dropzone spings. The back looks the way i like it, but the front still sits up too high. I put on 18 inch wheels still have too much a gap between the wheel and fender wall. I am hoping they sent me the wrong spring, or i am going to cut the sping down another inch. Anyway, I would just put in the c/c plates. Some people can get away w/o them, but as long as your doing the work, why not. I know my wheels would be pointing outward if i wouldnt have had them. Oh, and get some good shocks. My buddy has the same type of car and he has his original shock/struts, and if you live around cedar falls, University ave right side lane will actually throw you out of the car w/ his set up. Mine rides real nice. Good luck...

[IMG]local://upfiles/6699/951DF867B37F4FB1A7C3BBCC25711116.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Viridian
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. ToplessGT, I went to UNI from 2000-2004, and I know what you're talking about with University Ave...

I went ahead and ordered some caster/camber plates just to be safe. I think everything is going to work out well, and I hope to get pics up whenever I get all this stuff put on.