General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upgrading engine, supercharger etc... Desperately need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Brandiny7

Default Upgrading engine, supercharger etc... Desperately need advice

Hello,

I am new to this forum, I signed up because I am in desperate need of advice from people who know more about this stuff than I. I have a 2000 Stage 2 Roush mustang and am looking to upgrade it to around 600whp. I am having a LOT of trouble finding places that actually know what they are talking about. I finally found a place near me that seemed like they knew what they were doing, but I just got the price for a new 5.0l stroker engine and blower and it's MUCH higher than I expected and was quoted. I'm afraid I'm getting played at this point and don't have the knowledge to know it and the resources to compare prices. Have any of you done similar upgrades? What are some pricing ranges that sound reasonable? What other upgrades did you do to safely handle and utilize the power (new tranny, exhaust, suspension etc...?)

Help would be greatly appreciated, I feel a bit lost at this point and I'm not the type to rush into a bad deal and lose this much money.

Brando
Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Brandiny7

Also, to add to my above post, what's the difference between a normal and a modular engine? Other than what seems to be a big price difference
Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 AM
blowby

Where do you live?
I can give you a few pointers on what you may need but If I can send you to someone near you that may help more.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:54 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

What kind of prices was the shop quoting, for what kind of work?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If you have a Roush Stage 2, you already have the upgraded exhaust and suspension - no need to do anything with those. And don't take this the wrong way, but if you didn't know that, 600 hp might be biting off more than you can chew. Maybe start with a stock motor and a super charger - get in the high 300 / low 400 range, and see how you do with that.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:02 PM
glaranotch
2nd Gear Member

dude he can get 600hp however he wants. how much did you get quoted for man? was it a custom block?
Old 09-12-2008, 01:38 AM
Brandiny7

I know what a stage 2 Roush has, I just wasn't sure if the Roush exhaust and suspension would be ideal for 600+rwhp. I actually left the shop that was originally going to do my work and I'm in the process of scouting new ones to see who i trust the most and who has the best prices (the shop I was at had horrible customer service, and was telling me some things that seemed a bit fishy). I am currently getting an engine built by MMR, though (www.modularmustangracing.com). I am getting the 5.0L 950 stroker shortblock built. I haven't decided if I am going to use them to install and do all of my upgrades, though. It looks like I'm upgrading everything that's not Roush (ugg), I keep checking up on certain parts to see if I can keep it stock and it seems like it's just too much power to risk it (I'm going for about 600whp on 91 octane, and then a dyno tune with 100 octane and seeing what I can safely push it to). This is definitely a big project and I am doing it in several steps, the first step being the new engine and turbo to give me some time to drive it lightly and break it in, then I'm figuring out what the next steps I should take are (tranny, full rear end, tires and possibly new rims, radiator and everything in between). I live in Los Angeles, by the way. I would appreciate any advice or thoughts.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2008, 06:57 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a bad @ss car you're building up! What are your plans with it? Drags? Road racing?