General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

RADAR NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 PM
adahy22
1st Gear Member

Default RADAR NEEDED

so since i bought a tv from best buy i got 65 $ free money so i m really wanted a good good radar to detect those hidden cops, I m not looking to spend 500$ but probably 200$ i think that s good enough ,i ve been racing and going fast lately and i really don t want to get caught stupidly so i m sure i can get a radar that would help me out when a cop is in about a mile away so i can slow down
What do you guys have and how is it?
thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 05:36 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Radar detector isnt gonna save you from a speeding ticket. Pay attention to where all the cops hide and just take it easy throught those areas and you wont need a radar. I have gotten a few radars in the past and I stop using them cause I always knew where they hide so I never speed throught those areas. Only times I ever have gotten a ticket is if the speed limit droped and I didnt notice it right away cause I was either tired and going home from work or at the end of a realy long trip.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:55 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Buy the most expensive radar detector you can afford!

Then, after you STILL get tickets you can kick yourself in the (_|_) for all the money you *wasted* on the detector
Old 09-13-2008, 10:48 AM
IndianaJake

Better route would to take it to the track. There several options for you that are safer (for you and other people) and you could actually learn something. Find a drag, scca region, or road course near you and go have fun. I autocrossed in the SCCA for over 10 years and that calmed me down on the streets alot. I finally talked my 17yo daughter into actocrossing her Probe for the first time...we are going on Sept 28th.

You don't need a radar...you need to tighten the nut behind the wheel!
Old 09-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I use a V1 radar locator.
Even owning a mighty Valentine One won't keep you from getting a ticket unless you know how to use it prudently.

http://www.valentine1.com/

These things aren't cheap ($400) but having the directional arrows and a demonstrated two mile range is worth more than gold to me.
I helped another motorist get a speeding ticket the other day with my V1. LOL
Old 09-13-2008, 06:19 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Well I dont really know the huge differences in the detectors, however, I do knot that where I live Police cant "hide" they have to be visible. But really I agree with IndianaJake, just take it to a track and do that stuff there. (I know, the streets give you more adrenalin) but speeding tickets are a pain in the butt (insurance skyrockets, tickets are a lot of money--overall no fun!) I had two tickets a couple years ago within 6 months of eachother and my insurance went from around $50 to $250--One was from Street racing an older Honda Civic in my old B2200 Mazda pickup (the Civic was an Automatic, the pickup was a Manual) I had him beat by about half a car, then all of a sudden sirens are right behind me, I was going like 65 (he clocked me at 55!) and I was in a school zone (it was night time though) the Civic turned and left me to take the ticket on my birthday. So that really sucked, though an old B2200 Pickup beating the Civic surprised me.

Just go with some radar, but I wouldnt spend too much on it, just watch out and be careful if your really going to drive like that.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:00 PM
adahy22
1st Gear Member

thanks i know that i should take it to the track i m doing autocross as well.
i just wanted some radar to help me out a little,since those events are so far apart,
i looked at scca and it s not every weekend,so it s really boring between those events.
and the power is always there!!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:07 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Hmm... Well I dont know which radar detectors are the best (MAKE SURE THEY ARE LEGAL WHERE YOU ARE! & HAVE IT AS HIDDEN AS YOU CAN! If the Police see that and do end up pulling you over then they are'nt giving you a break most likely.) I found some stuff here: http://www.bestradardetectors.net/?C...FQWlQAodK31mYg you might want to check out those brands and see which will suit you.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:52 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Honestly if you are gonna buy a radar detector then you really have to go with the best one, which is the Valentine 1. Thats the one I am planning to get but since it's like $400 and all i'm trying to evaluate how badly I need this just yet.

And honestly, don't keep driving fast and be speeding. If you want to have some short acceleration races with some random car at a light then thats fine but any other times just drive at or below the speed limit. It will be better for you.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:20 PM
adahy22
1st Gear Member

that s what i do from a light to about 65-70 in a 45 so at least it not extreme or on the highway in the 65-70 zone at about 95 to 120 hehe but slow down really quickly

thanks for the link i will look into it

Quick Reply: RADAR NEEDED