General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas-- Premium? Does it make a difference

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:19 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Quick question (not very relevant)
If I buy a tuner and tune my car with the 91 octane tune (premium gas tune, or whatever its called) how long does it take to do the tune? Is it instant? Also how hard is it to set back to the original tune? If I do that tune (91 octane tune/premium tune) and cannot find a gas station with premium gas and I have the tuner with me would I be able to set it back to my original tune and use normal gas or would that be really bad on my engine? (if I had the car set at the premium tune and switched it back to the stock tune would the car automatically accept the lower-grade gas?)

Also does using a tuner and tuning the car to a Premium gas tune in the long run damage my engine at all? (Since I think that it also boosts horsepower and stuff)

Also how much better MPG can I get with just a Premium Gas Tune??

All those questions would be very helpful for me!! Thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 02:00 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
Quick question (not very relevant)
If I buy a tuner and tune my car with the 91 octane tune (premium gas tune, or whatever its called) how long does it take to do the tune? Is it instant? Also how hard is it to set back to the original tune? If I do that tune (91 octane tune/premium tune) and cannot find a gas station with premium gas and I have the tuner with me would I be able to set it back to my original tune and use normal gas or would that be really bad on my engine? (if I had the car set at the premium tune and switched it back to the stock tune would the car automatically accept the lower-grade gas?)

Also does using a tuner and tuning the car to a Premium gas tune in the long run damage my engine at all? (Since I think that it also boosts horsepower and stuff)

Also how much better MPG can I get with just a Premium Gas Tune??

All those questions would be very helpful for me!! Thanks
You might want to start a separate thread on this subject as you're opening a different can of worms. I'll just let you know that the tuner I used for my 2004 Ford Lightning was a Diablo Tuner and it was less than 5 minutes to change tunes. No biggie. I could change from 91 octane to 87 and swap the tune quickly. I'm not sure about the Mustangs but I'll bet it's the same. Any time you change tuning you can damage your engine if not done right. Usually a basic "safe tune" or slight upgrade from stock doesn't hurt in the longrun if installed and used properly. Good luck.