General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Detailing for Car Show...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Default Detailing for Car Show...

Okay so here is the deal. I have my first car show ever on Friday and I was wondering what I need to do to make my car look perfect. I know the main things like wash it, wax it, vacuum it, etc. I just want to know the little things that will make my car stand out from the rest...

It's a Black 2005 V6 Manual.

I have pretty much every MeGuiars product ever made along with some tire shine, Armor-All, and Scratch Doctor so I don't think I need to buy anything...

Also, what should I do to the engine compartment?

Thanks in advance for the help,

HT
Old 10-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Wash it!

Get a toothbrush and go over everything and get ALL the grime off anything you can see.
An easier way is to use S-100.It's safe for use on bare aluminum an cleans like you wouldn't believe.
http://www.s100.com/
I've used it on motorcycles for years and it won't discolor aluminum like most of the other spray on cleaners will.It's also safe for painted surfaces.
Check bike shops for availability.I've never seen it for sale at a car parts place.

Prepping for a show can be pretty tedious so give yourself plenty of time.

Clean everyting and let it dry.
Go back and look everything over again.Wet surfaces can hide dirty spots that WILL show up when you open the hood for display.

Shine the battery terminals.

Bring your microfiber towels,(you ARE using microfiber aren't you?) to clean up any,,,,,droppings ,that might find their way onto your car.I use regular towels under the hood BTW.

Don't forget to clean under the car too.Some judges look under the car in case of a tie.

The night before the show,spray a misting spray of Armorall over the entire engine bay,even the metal.This makes everything shine and can help hide undiscovered dirt.Go out the next morning and wipe everything down to even-up the Armorall.This keeps blotchy spots to a minumum.

Go and have fun! Talk to as many of the other participants as you can.There are a lot of interesting people out there.Pay special attention to the children! Let then sit in your car (if they're clean of course) and twist the steering wheel.Let the parents take pictures.
Be prepared to answer questions about your car.The public is interested or they wouldn't be there.
Try not to laugh at the ricer section.They don't know any better yet.One thing I've noticed though,the more outlandish the car,the louder the mouth of the owner.

Again,have fun and good luck.

Last edited by Chopper; 10-09-2008 at 07:55 AM.