General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starter Heat Soak Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:57 PM
jenaywins

Default Starter Heat Soak Issue?

Hello.

I am obviously new to this forum. I have a question about my 2000 Mustang. I have researched this issue for about three days now...

My car will ONLY start when the engine is completely cold. After heating up, it will not start. I have narrowed this issue down to what I believe to be a heat soak issue with my starter. The alternator does not seem like a plausible cause of this issue. My question is, does the heat soak theory make sense, and if so, will a new starter remedy this problem? Or can the solenoid alone be replaced on this model car? Any help is very much so appreciated! Thank you!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:35 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

So, what does the starter do when the car is warm,. Does it turn over really slowly? Makes clicking noises?

Make sure your cables are securely attached & in good shape first.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:42 PM
jenaywins

I have made sure the cables are attached, the battery is only a month old and is providing sufficient voltage. When I try to start the vehicle after it's warm, there is no sound. No clicking, no turning over, nothing. My mechanic briefly checked it out and concluded that the car is only putting out 5 of the necessary 12 volts to start. When he put it up on the rack and started the car from underneath, however, it started every time. Please advise. Thank you!!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:22 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Well even a "heat soaked starter" will still turn over slowly. If your battery is new & fully charged, then I'd say your problem is with a wire or cable somewhere. Next time the car is warm & won't start try turning on the headlights for about a minute. Do they stay bright & strong for the whole minute? If yes then your battery voltage is fine.

If the mechanic "jumpered" the starter & it fired right up, that confirms a wiring problem. A starter cable can sometimes be corroded INSIDE the cable, between the ends. Check for bulges in the cable, stuff like that.