General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blower Motor Resistor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 03:38 PM
LSMO-stang

Default Blower Motor Resistor Problems

Hello, this is my first post and first want to say thanks for all the past help. Secondly, I had problems with my resistor, blower would only blow on high, so I replaced the resistor with a brand new one. When I replaced it and turned the blower on the coils on the resistor glowed red hot. The hot coil would switch as I moved from low to med and then the new resistor would only work on high just like the old one. So I assume it too burnt up, but what could be causing this, although the blower worked at high, med and low could it be drawing too much amps or is it something else? Thanks
Old 10-19-2008, 10:32 AM
forcefeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LSMO-stang
Hello, this is my first post and first want to say thanks for all the past help. Secondly, I had problems with my resistor, blower would only blow on high, so I replaced the resistor with a brand new one. When I replaced it and turned the blower on the coils on the resistor glowed red hot. The hot coil would switch as I moved from low to med and then the new resistor would only work on high just like the old one. So I assume it too burnt up, but what could be causing this, although the blower worked at high, med and low could it be drawing too much amps or is it something else? Thanks
are all the speeds working now?? sounds to me like its working properly, those coils do get hot thats why they are mounted in the heater box directly in the air flow so as to cool them
Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 AM
LSMO-stang

It only works on high now. It was working but then stopped. Could it be that because we did not have it mounted in the heater box where air could blow across it that it got to hot and failed? At first we just plugged it in, not in the box, to see if it worked, which it did but then quit.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:54 PM
forcefeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LSMO-stang
It only works on high now. It was working but then stopped. Could it be that because we did not have it mounted in the heater box where air could blow across it that it got to hot and failed? At first we just plugged it in, not in the box, to see if it worked, which it did but then quit.
yes......they do need the airflow to keep them from burning out