General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CAI make noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Edx2x

Default CAI make noise?

Today I had the trans flushed, refilled, then the serpentine belt was changed, the oil/filter too, spark plugs changed, and then I put on a cold air intake (bbk system) it seems like the car is running slower than before now... I can't even squeel the wheels from idle. The main question is, does the CAI actually make noise? It sounds like when I idle / constant give it the same amount of gas I hear a hiss does that mean its on right or wrong?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:34 PM
ekthrilla
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI make noise?

you must not have plugged all your spark plug wires in all the way or you have something back on wrong..the intake though makes a hissing noise...you have it on right...the cone filter makes the hissing noise.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:32 AM
Edx2x

Obviously the spark plugs are in as it starts/runs, the WIRES might be the problem?
Old 05-27-2005, 12:52 AM
rick98gt
1st Gear Member

check all of your hoses...one might be off
Old 05-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Edx2x

my friend installed the CAI, when you install it you only take off like 2 hoses right? the two that go from the engine to the cai correct?
Old 05-27-2005, 03:35 AM
mach1racer

You dont take any hoses off, I just installed one on my 96' V6. The two hoses are very important. One is your Intake air temp and the other runs to your PVC in your valve cover, at least that is how mine is. It should be a completly enclosed system, no holes/plugs left open on the tube. Only way for air to pass is through the cone and into the throttle blades.

Another thing, check to make sure that your MAF is on correctly, if you forgot to plug it back in then your car wont run worth crap. Ive seen some people completly delete it while installing a CAI and then get pissed when their car runs like ****, YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE MAF

Now also, check your belt, make sure that you dont have it on too tightly, if you have it on too tight then it can cause some parasitic power loss. A good way to measure if its on right is to twist the belt and if it turns 1/2 way around then its good, if it cant turn that much then you need to loosen it up a bit.

Now about your spark plugs, pull each on and make sure each is propperly gapped, you can call Autozone or Kregan for the gap that your 4.6 requires. Inpropper gapping can cause all sorts of things to happen as well as power loss.

Now for that trans flush, if its an auto then its possible that it stired some debris up and it may be partially blocking a passage somewhere, automatic trannies are complicated beasts. Check all other possibilites before coming here because this will be the most time consuming.

Mmmm I think thats about it... Okie dokie then.

Night night.

~April~