General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HID, single of dual beam???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 AM
JFordJr
1st Gear Member

Hey I have a question about the HID bulbs. Do I have to get a kit and install it, or can I just get the bulbs and put them in place of my stock bulbs. I have heard that you can just put them in, but also heard that you can't.

I'm saying if I bought these : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...3A1|240%3A1318

Would that be all I needed?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:21 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

1) Those are not HID bulbs

2) Even if they were true HID Xenon bulbs, they would not work without the ballasts, relays, etc that come in the kit.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:07 PM
JFordJr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k1gt
1) Those are not HID bulbs

2) Even if they were true HID Xenon bulbs, they would not work without the ballasts, relays, etc that come in the kit.
Yeah I saw that they are Halogen bulbs "with HID look". But do you think these would look the same, or at least better than my stock bulbs?

I will make sure to type correctly next time so I don't look like a dumbass. Thanks for clarifying though.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

I have tried a lot of different types of halogen bulbs and none of them even come close to comparing to a true HID kit. I love my HIDs and can't imagine driving without them ever again.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:22 PM
JFordJr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k1gt
I have tried a lot of different types of halogen bulbs and none of them even come close to comparing to a true HID kit. I love my HIDs and can't imagine driving without them ever again.
Damn, I guess I can't get off cheap.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Not really no. The best you can do it get a single beam kit from vvme for $40 or a dual beam for $79

http://www.vvme.com/catalog/list-s-10145-10146.html
Old 11-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Sunadaime
2nd Gear Member

get a dual beam kit. Best to spend some money on the higher priced ones for the warranty and try not to get them off of ebay. I did mine and the ballast was busted and had to send it back(not without trouble). now the other ballast doesnt start up right and my warranty was only 30 days. plus i noticed that they arent the same temp bulbs.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:30 AM
JFordJr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sunadaime
get a dual beam kit. Best to spend some money on the higher priced ones for the warranty and try not to get them off of ebay. I did mine and the ballast was busted and had to send it back(not without trouble). now the other ballast doesnt start up right and my warranty was only 30 days. plus i noticed that they arent the same temp bulbs.
Yeah, I would only get a dual beam kit. And thanks for the advice about not buying these on Ebay.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:30 PM
retrosolutions2
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sunadaime
We sponsor the forums here and offer you guys preferred pricing on our LIFETIME WARRANTY kits. Our kits are known for their high reliability and quality, you only buy the kit once for your car and you never have to buy another kit again!
We carry a full selection of 35w standard output and 55w high-output kits

https://mustangforums.com/forum/useless-posts/451049-digital-hid-from-retro-solutions.html
Old 11-20-2008, 05:39 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

IGNORE EVERY POST TELLING YOU TO GET THE DUAL KIT!!

dual kits are extremely dangerous. they either have one of 2 styles: one with a hallogen bulb mounted to the side, or one that makes the HID arc, which is never in the same position twice, making them very dangerous. i am not very good at explaining what i'm trying to say, so read this article about HID's

bottom line, putting HIDs into a housing not meant for them is a bad idea overall. if you're going to do it, put them into an HID projector and you will get the results you want. HIDs in a housing meant for a hallogen bulb is a bad idea. a "dual beam" kit is a horrible idea.

i am much more informed about HIDs than the average person is (or at least i try to be).

Last edited by groundpounder; 11-20-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: bashing a sponsor and hocking your own stuff

Quick Reply: HID, single of dual beam???