General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

???Can anyone help with a cold air problem???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:06 AM
My96StangCA

Default ???Can anyone help with a cold air problem???

Let me start off, I am not a novice to working on cars, and I can't find any mechanic who has heard of this issue so I am open to all suggestions. I have a 1996 Mustang GT I have done other Modifications to it but have tried several cambinations in order to fix this issue, nothing has worked. Every time I put a cold air intake on my stang, my O2 senors fails. From what I understand it runs too lean, the computer doesn't adjust and the sensors burn out. I have bought and tried a bigger throttle body and plenum, as well as a engine tuner. neither helps the problem. The only other thing I can think of is taking the car in and having the computer re-tuned with the cold air on or simply getting a new computer. Also would a adjustable fuel regulator work to solve this? just throwing out an idea. Please help. Any information is a plus.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:36 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

I would start looking at the MAF.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

Welcome to MF's..

Have you considered getting it dyno tuned.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:22 AM
meansteedagt2004
1st Gear Member

Is the cold air kit relocating the MAF to a non stock location? Maybe to close to the air filter or too far. Are you only getting codes for your 02 sensors?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:48 PM
johnrehder
1st Gear Member

Smile Clean the wire in the MAF

Try cleaning the MAF wire with some alcohol wipes or something that will remove grime.
Might help things.

Originally Posted by My96StangCA
Let me start off, I am not a novice to working on cars, and I can't find any mechanic who has heard of this issue so I am open to all suggestions. I have a 1996 Mustang GT I have done other Modifications to it but have tried several cambinations in order to fix this issue, nothing has worked. Every time I put a cold air intake on my stang, my O2 senors fails. From what I understand it runs too lean, the computer doesn't adjust and the sensors burn out. I have bought and tried a bigger throttle body and plenum, as well as a engine tuner. neither helps the problem. The only other thing I can think of is taking the car in and having the computer re-tuned with the cold air on or simply getting a new computer. Also would a adjustable fuel regulator work to solve this? just throwing out an idea. Please help. Any information is a plus.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:41 PM
My96StangCA

Default UPDATE

The Cold Air Kit that I tried does...yes it does move the mass air flow sensor. I have tried cleaning it and getting some of the grim off of it. I don't know if the shop that tried installing a kit moved it as well or what. IF that is the case, what would cure this issue. Because when the codes come up their just the running lean in left bank and right bank codes. I forget the actual codes because it's been a while.