General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPMS problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Part number I got about a year ago (elsewhere) was 8C2T-1A203-AB (for the '08 E-Series vans). Has it been superseded?

Norm
Old 01-08-2009, 02:39 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by forcefeed
if there is a defect with the sensor then it would be under warranty, if the tires are simply low/high on air pressure than thats not Fords problem, perhaps the dealer you work for is absorbing the cost as a service to the customer, but you can be dam sure Ford is not paying, the warranty and policy manual is th same for Canada and USA, we all play by the same rules

white fox part no for th transmitter is 8c2z-1a203-a its 34.00 cdn so thats like 5 us.
He checked and confirmed his tire pressure per his stated specs on his car, and its a 08 throwing a saftey warning message. He has done his user maintenance on this issue, bring it to the dealer before you order a part, your 100% in the right and it should be covered. If Ford tried to send him away and something was actualy wrong aside from low pressure, they would be at fault. At the very least, they will check your pressure and fill if needed, then let you know not to go back to the same pump anymore.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I havent checked prices recently, but the activation tools we use arent cheap... And all the ones I've seen for sale arent anywhere NEAR 30-40$, more like hundreds of dollars... Maybe we arent on the same page here
Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by JDWalton
He checked and confirmed his tire pressure per his stated specs on his car, and its a 08 throwing a saftey warning message. He has done his user maintenance on this issue, bring it to the dealer before you order a part, your 100% in the right and it should be covered. If Ford tried to send him away and something was actualy wrong aside from low pressure, they would be at fault. At the very least, they will check your pressure and fill if needed, then let you know not to go back to the same pump anymore.
Exactly.....

Basically what I was tryna say
Old 01-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
I havent checked prices recently, but the activation tools we use arent cheap... And all the ones I've seen for sale arent anywhere NEAR 30-40$, more like hundreds of dollars... Maybe we arent on the same page here
This isn't like the Bartec tools that have much greater capabilities. All they do is train the sensors to the system. I think the E-series vans might have different front and rear tire pressure specs, and this tool allows rotation (and adjusting the pressures accordingly).

Originally Posted by some other Mustang forum
Quote:
Confused. Does it reset the code and turn off the low tire pressure light? Or, does it re-program the receiving sensor(s) in the car to accept new TPMS sensors put in the wheels? Or, does it activate the sensors in the wheels and set them on the correct frequency for the car?

It allows you to turn off the TPMS lamp after a low tire pressure event or the installation of a new sensor or sensors. Ford calls this "TPMS Sensor Training".

Each TPMS sensor has its own ID. These four IDs must be trained to the Smart Junction Box (SJB) when replaced or after a low tire pressure event that caused the TPMS lamp to illuminate.

Quote:
TPMS is still a new, complex issue to the aftermarket and enthusiasts. I'm sure someone, somewhere will come up for an easy, proper fix for this. Until then, the right way to do it (tragically, expensive, too) is to either swap the sensors, or order and install new bands and sensors.

There's nothing complex about it, and any new sensors will still have to be trained.

Here is the very simple procedure for training TPMS sensors using this tool or equivalent(aka "resetting the tire light", etc.):

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency noise and at least 1 m (3 ft) away from other vehicles equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

Radio frequency noise is generated by electrical motors and appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
Press and release the brake pedal.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool must remain in place 180 degrees from the valve stem.

Place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the LF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB.

Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the RF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.

Norm
Old 01-08-2009, 07:28 PM
95v6eR

iif you really want to solve this problem all together find a place that does nitrogen and put nitrogen in your tires. i see this everyday at my shop i work at.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 PM
forcefeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
not sure what you mean by not on the same page, i think we are talking about the same thing, do yourself a favor go to your parts department and order the number i listed it will train all band style sensor, and you can use a magnet like you find in the bottom of a tranny pan to train the style that are built into th valve stem, if you cant get it let me know and i will sell you as many as you would like
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Activation tools are no where close to $30-40.. What brand tool do you have?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:07 PM
forcefeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackSix2k
Activation tools are no where close to $30-40.. What brand tool do you have?
yes they are, i put the part number in an earlier post, they are sold by Ford
Old 01-09-2009, 05:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95v6eR
iif you really want to solve this problem all together find a place that does nitrogen and put nitrogen in your tires. i see this everyday at my shop i work at.
Nitrogen is not a magic cure for this or much else, as its pressure is still going to vary just as much with temperature as atmospheric air (which is already 78% nitrogen vs 95% or so for N2 filling equipment - you aren't gaining nearly as much as suggested).

Nitrogen's chief advantage is that it's drier than most compressed "ordinary" air, and even that doesn't mean very much to the average motorist. Good profit source for the shop, though.

Blacksix - the part number I posted in #11 above was listed at $18 about a year ago.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-09-2009 at 05:45 AM.

Quick Reply: TPMS problem