General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HIDs on a mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:17 PM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Default HIDs on a mustang

HIDs on a mustang. what do you guys think? i know some of you have HIDs already. what color temp is best? and what brand do you think is best? i dont want ebay stuff if there like $50, because i believe that saying, you get what you pay for. any suggestions thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 03:22 PM
yoyo8750LX

Unless the kit come with new housing / buckets that refocus the light right, the average just toss in bulb n ballest hid kits don't work as well as it should.. You need a kit that replaces everything.

Now them cheap ebay kits aren't to bad if ya get it all.

I just updated my old station wagon for $30 using a cheap ebay hid kit.
But it came with new housings 2 for 30. It still used the old all one piece glass bulb headlight. It was worth it just for the new housing with proper reflectors to focus it right. I can buy better bulbs n such later.

So bright that Im only doing 2 instead of all 4. I don't need it.
Id have aircraft trying to land if I ran all 4.

That neat nifty pattern you see in side of them is to focus the light right.
You need that to get the right light pattern.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:36 PM
arbs
1st Gear Member

well i have the sn95 body with the light housing that is adjustable. im not too sure i know what youre talking about. well what color temperature did you get?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:57 AM
koesterca1
2nd Gear Member

Do yourself and everyone else on the road a favor and get projector housings for your HIDs. Without the projectors your light is scattered into hotspots and will blind oncoming traffic..My stock headlights are just as bright if not brighter than all of my friends who just stuck HIDs into stock headlight housings..BUT proper HIDs in a projector blow regular headlights outaa the water.

The first picture is a headlight with a proper projectors for the HIDs.
The second picture is a car with HIDs in halogen housings..Notice that light is present from the ground all the way to the roof of the house.Not only is this bad for others,but your light is up in the sky instead of on the road where it should be.
The third picture is a car with Projectors and HIDs.Notice the clean cut-off line where all the light stops.
Attached Thumbnails HIDs on a mustang-bmw-headlight-5-series.jpg   HIDs on a mustang-pic6sr5.jpg   HIDs on a mustang-bbbbbml1.jpg  
Old 02-07-2009, 12:55 AM
arbs
1st Gear Member

nice picture. well what temp do you think would be good?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

I have 5k, since it looks like the stock color, and the lower the K, the brighter the light.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 AM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMC1775
I have 5k, since it looks like the stock color, and the lower the K, the brighter the light.
is that in your stock housing? how is it for you? is the light scattered like koesterca1 said?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 AM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

They work fine with the new stock housings, it does light up higher than the main beam, but not very bright. Makes it really easy to see road signs. Ive been looking at getting some Cobra projectors anyway
Old 02-09-2009, 02:18 PM
arbs
1st Gear Member

did you ever get pulled over because of the lights shining a higher than they were before?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:34 AM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

No. Like I said, its not direct light, its the same thing that the stock lights have, if you havent noticed, the stock lights do the same, just not quite as bright. And you can aim the stock housing so that the main beam isnt blinding.

Quick Reply: HIDs on a mustang