General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

side exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:44 PM
thePH03NIX
1st Gear Member

Default side exhaust

i'm trying to find a new side exhaust setup, i already have SVO sideskirts, and dynomax mufflers, but i want something different.

the only problem is, it's nearly impossible to find a side exhaust setup for the sn95 mustangs. every time i find a side exhaust kit, it's always for the new edge mustangs

anybody know where i can find a side exhaust kit or something?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:17 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Just buy a muffler pair with the inlet/outlet on the same side and have a shop weld them in for you.

I'd suggest Spin Tech or Magnaflow, but Dynomax and Bassani also make them.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:06 PM
thePH03NIX
1st Gear Member

ok, i found somebody with borla stingers, and i guess it's just pipes they welded on? i'm not sure, but here's a pic

would i be able to do that without longtube headers? i see that he has LTs and i'm not sure if i would need that to use those same mufflers/resonators. if i don't, then i'll definitely go with SLP Loudmouth resonators or Magnaflow Magnapack, i love how they sound

Last edited by thePH03NIX; 02-01-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:58 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

That set up works if your car sits high enough. Some suspensions have the car low enough that you can't relocate the mufflers to that spot.

As for long tubes vs shorties... you can do it either way.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

You know it's gonna be LOUD inside the car with side exhaust, especially whenever you have your windows down.

..might sound great at first but it's gonna start annoying U eventually
Old 02-01-2009, 11:40 PM
thePH03NIX
1st Gear Member

well i have side exhaust right now by dynomax, and it doesn't really sound that loud, i mean ya it's kinda loud to me the driver, but outside the car it's barely noticeable...so i just wanted somethin a little louder, and i usually don't have my windows open anyway, i like my a/c

edit: anybody happen to know how much i might be able to lower it with those kind of mufflers?? my car is at the stock height right now and i can pretty much stick my head underneath there, so i got a lot of clearance it seems

Last edited by thePH03NIX; 02-01-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'd go zero drop. When you move the mufflers up out of the stock location, you lose a LOT of height.

If you already have a side exit set up and just want better sound, go with the Spin Tech 333SCS mufflers. They sound just as good as the Maganpaks kicked out the side.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM
thePH03NIX
1st Gear Member

what about power? wouldn't i get more power with the more straight through way with the exhaust rather than an inlet and outlet both on the same side? or would the power gain/loss not even be noticeable
Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I gained tq just swapping from the Magnaflow side exit to the Spin Tech side exit. And the car makes more power than similar set ups with rear exit. But that is with the smaller motor. I've never heard of a 4.6L owner dropping hp or tq when kicking it out the side.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 PM
thePH03NIX
1st Gear Member

well today i found out how much i'm getting on my taxes, and it's way less than what i expected, so i'm gonna have to wait a while on the exhaust, and i think i'm going to pay off all my debt, and then have just a little left over to save for a little bit

Quick Reply: side exhaust