General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Problems for a new Mustang fan

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:56 AM
GunMetal05

Question Problems for a new Mustang fan

Hey all,

I'm a relatively new Mustang fanatic; early last year, I became the proud owner of a 2005 Mustang GT, my first Mustang and my first manual transmission.

I've since fallen in love, but every now and again I'm concerned that I may not be doing my baby justice.

I'm not sure I can accurately describe the problem, but here goes. Over about the last week, her general sound and feel have been...different.

I know that's not much to go on, but as far as sound, she just seems to sound a bit rougher. Also, sometimes on the upshift, when I'm trying for a quick acceleration (4.5-5k RPMs) I can hear a strange, rapid clicking sound from the engine. It's not quite a grinding sound, but it's more like a rapid ticking or clicking for about one second after the shift, then stops.

The "off feeling" is really what's gotten me to post, however. Over the last week, it's been feeling as if she's been riding a bit bumpier. And most recently, it feels like the shifting has been thrown off. The point of the clutch taking to the engine seems to be higher from the floor that it used to be, and now during upshifts, I sometimes experience what feels like a bump after letting the clutch all the way out. I don't know if this is just my head playing with me since I think I've got something that needs to be looked at, but she's starting to feel different. Other than that, she still accelerates and drives fine, it seems.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I've been doing some other research, and I think I may have been lugging the engine more than usual for a while. Could this be connected to the other symptoms?

-GunMetal05

Last edited by GunMetal05; 02-19-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GunMetal05
Hey all,

Edit: I've been doing some other research, and I think I may have been lugging the engine more than usual for a while. Could this be connected to the other symptoms?

-GunMetal05
Yes you could be causing carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. What quality of fuel are you using? Perhaps some of the fuel injectors are getting clogged up. Run some fuel injector cleaner thru the engine, a couple tankfulls if it's really chronic, and see what happens.

Lugging any engine in general is BAD. My dad used to do it all the time, thinking he's doing the engine a favor by not "over abusing" it lol, no he's causing more problems than me shifting at 4k.

Dunno about your clutch pedal concerns.. keep an eye on that
Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 AM
GunMetal05

Originally Posted by GreyStang
Yes you could be causing carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. What quality of fuel are you using? Perhaps some of the fuel injectors are getting clogged up. Run some fuel injector cleaner thru the engine, a couple tankfulls if it's really chronic, and see what happens.

Lugging any engine in general is BAD. My dad used to do it all the time, thinking he's doing the engine a favor by not "over abusing" it lol, no he's causing more problems than me shifting at 4k.

Dunno about your clutch pedal concerns.. keep an eye on that
Thanks for the reply GrayStang,

I just ran a fuel cleaner through her about four or so tanks ago, but I'll grab some more. Any reccommendations on brand?

Edit: By the way, if any of my problems sound like they could be or could develop into serious engine/trans/clutch problems, what do I need to watch out for?

-GunMetal05

Last edited by GunMetal05; 02-19-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GunMetal05
I just ran a fuel cleaner through her about four or so tanks ago, but I'll grab some more. Any reccommendations on brand?
Techron by Chevron

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...tives/tcp.aspx
Old 02-20-2009, 04:13 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

You should give your car an "Italian Tuneup"

a.k.a. Ferrari tuneup

Drive that thing FLAT OUT, revving to redline shift & rev to redline,, repeat! Punch the throttle hard & give'r no mercy

There are garages out there that do this Someone brings their carboned up car for a "tuneup" when the customer leaves the mechanic takes the car out on the back roads & revs the SNOT out of it. Customer returns & finds the car running a lot better lol,, and PAYS the mechanic for the service
Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 PM
GunMetal05

Hey all,

A new symptom has developed over the last few days. While in low gear (most notably first), and coming off the line, or just after an upshift, she will shudder kind of like she's going to stall, but I'm putting enough throttle on to where she shouldn't be anywhere near a stall. This started happening a few days ago in bumper to bumper traffic, and wasn't all too noticeable. Then, earlier today she really started with it.

Odd thing is, she seems to run fine for the first run of the day, a little more roughly the second time I take her out. Like a dog the third. On the fourth or fifth time out, she's just barkin!

I'll be taking her out for that Ferrari Tuneup your prescribed when interstate clears up, tonight, though!

-Gunmetal