General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

thoughts, suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 PM
chevyguy-gone ford

Default thoughts, suggestions

hello, new to ford, been an avid chev nut for years, but decided after seeing so many mustangs just flying, id give er a shot.
just picked up a 2002 gt convertible, with 23700 on it, ladt owned, since new, and never abused, she is a car nut too, was jus a sunday cruiser.
now here is what im thinking, pull the 4.6 boat anchor, swap out for a 600 + 350, or play with the 4.6,
right now it has granny gears in it, just a dog when ya grab 3rd, 4 th lays down an dies, typical for ford though.
456 gears are on the bench now, short shifter, clutch coming, not sure what yet.
exhaust is gone, and long tube headers are sitting on bench as well,
now any ideas as to what can be done to the motor, i wont put juice or charger on it, as i want it naturally, not the easy way,lol, i told you i was a chevy racer for years, and if i can get 600+ on a single carb, im sure i can get it outta a ford, so what ya got, i could just haul it out an start buying, but would hear what everyone else has been doing, and how it has been working for them, im not looking to go race 100%, but she will hit the track, just to **** my chevy buddies off,lol.
i have come across a set of cobra heads and have the chance to grab a set of dart heads, big valves, shaved, etc, they been worked.
how much of a bore can the 4.6 take? who has run lunati bottom ends??? and also, been looking at crower for the cam, im wanting roughly 550 outta this crate, race ready, but still streetable, so please let ya ideas fly, i just want some insight as to what works an what dont. thanks guys, and please dont tell me cips, programmers, and cai, im aware of that stuff, but the pc is already gone, this thing is going to have a 750 holley double dump, old school, with newer technology, dont laugh it works, so please lets hear what ya got.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome! Just enjoy the GT...Bolt on a SC or Turbo and have fun!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:34 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome
Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

welcome to the forums.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

welcome!!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Welcome.

The 4.6 is what it is.Four valve heads (Cobra or MK VIII) are the best flowing heads out there right now.Trick flow has promised a set of two valve heads but we haven't seen any yet.
A forged bottom end is mandatory.BTW 600hp N/A is going to require everything to be forged.The RPM's you'll be spinning will demand it,don't overlook the oil pump gears either.
Remember,this engine is only 281CI,so it's going to take a lot to get that engine to that level.Low RPM operations (street) will be a,,,,challenge to say the least.A turbocharger would be my first choice.They are more efficient than superchargers so they can put more power to the pavement.

THe 4.56's are going to make first gear verrry short,you might look at that choice again.

If that not an option at all,I'd get a 351ci or maybe even a 427 and gut the car to fit.A big job but it's been done I'm sure.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:17 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

theres a guy in the 4.6 section that is swapping in a 460 into his 99 GT. i would check that out and talk with him.

oh and btw....welcome!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
SemperFi789
2nd Gear Member

welcome to the forums, i would check in the 4.6 section of the forums, you can get more advice there !!! have fun
Old 02-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

4.56 is too much gear. It's not a Chevy.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:06 PM
95 madness
1st Gear Member

I agree 373 maybe a better choice I bet you want to hit the highway every now and then and enjoy some highway pleasure as well as running around town. You definetly won't get that with 456 gears. I think you might actually find a procharger and a nice tune will make you very happy it is always nice to say I have 600 plus hp's but I have seen many 400 to 500 hp cars put a whoopin on the them because they can use it and put it to the ground. Enjoy and good luck with project which ever way you go looking forward to some pics of the work in progress.

Quick Reply: thoughts, suggestions