General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutchless Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:15 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

just use the damn clutch Toretto.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:38 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OnyxCobra
just use the damn clutch Toretto.
I double clutch.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

to find the right rpm i just applied a little pressure as the engine was moving up in the rpms and when it gets at the right spot itll pop in when i say a little pressure i mean jus lean the stick forward dont force it at all i did it maybe twice jus to see if i could and that was it no need really but if your clutch goes out then atleast ull kno u can get home
Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Choppa
to find the right rpm i just applied a little pressure as the engine was moving up in the rpms and when it gets at the right spot itll pop in when i say a little pressure i mean jus lean the stick forward dont force it at all i did it maybe twice jus to see if i could and that was it no need really but if your clutch goes out then atleast ull kno u can get home
What if your shift linkage goes out? Then you're screwed lol Happened to me in my Tiburon. I had the clutch replaced and when they put it back together they messed up with the shift linkage and I lost my ability to shift on the way home.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Kmoran81
2nd Gear Member

I drove my car 275 miles home from a roadtrip without using the clutch because the clutch cable snapped while at a gas station. Turning the car on was really fun.No complete stops and your golden. (but then again, I know how to drive. I wouldnt recommend it to a 18 year old)
Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 AM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default Transmission guy says YIKES!

I just thought I would weigh in here. What you fellows are doing is called rpm matched shifting, which is usually good at about 2500 rpms. This is about the point where the internals of the transmission going in and out are spinning at the same rate, allowing the gears to engage seamlessly. With a little practice you can do this all day long.

Having said that, keep in mind that the weakest link in any Mustang transmission, be it a t5, t45, 3650 or 6060, are the shift forks and pins. Clutchless shifting puts a HUGE load on them. One power shift under the wrong conditions can bend a fork, which will cause your transmission to pop out of gear or over engage the gears. Worst case scenario is that the fork breaks, in which case the fragments of the fork get ground up in the gears, coking them up and causing total transmission failure!

Have fun with these things, as they were intended. Just realize that you are playing with fire. And when you break something, don't forget us. We are here to help clean up the mess and get you back on the road!

Respects
AP
Old 05-04-2009, 10:53 PM
illusionownz

im surprised to see this even being a question, and so wrongfully answered. I have been a diesel mechanic for a while and every truck driver shifts without the clutch. I have always shifted my car without the clutch and do it regularly, it also has nothing to do with being at 2500 rpms. you need to match the rpms for the speed in whichever gear you are shifting into.
If you are doing 70mph in 5th gear and rpms are at 3000 and in 4th gear at 70 your rpms are at 4000 then to downshift from 5th to 4th you would raise rpms to 4000 and pop it in.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

the easiest way i have found of doing it is once you are rolling pull it out of gear if you are up shifting put a little preasure (i just lean my hand on the shifter) and wait for the rpms to drop and it will fall in to gear. if you are down shifting same thing except give it gas and wait for the rpm to match and it will fall in..(btw this is not a racing thing just just when you don't feel like clutching.)

now i have a friend that can lift on the gas and slam it in to gear (i don't know how he does it but he does) i just power shift but whe 150k miles on a t45 i don't do that much any more.