General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ceramic brake pads??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:47 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

Default ceramic brake pads??

I need new brake pads, and I had some semi-metalic ones that squeeked like m-fers last time, do not want this to happen again. I was thinking Hawk ceramic pads? Has anyone used these? I was little brake dust and QUIET braking!

Also, I have never done the back brakes myself, and I hear one needs a special tool to do them? How expensive is it and how hard is it? (im sure its a breeze, and if i can do all the mods in my sig minuse the gears i can do rear brakes)

thanks in advance!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

I have Hawk HPS performance pads on my car right now.
SUPER quiet, good braking power but they do give off a bit more brake dust than I'd prefer.
If you can get them for a good price, get them.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

The most quiet brake pads you can get are the organic brake pads. but they give off alot of dust. prety much anything that is not organic is gonna squeal a little. I prefer raybestos organic brake pads for good stoping power for a daily driver. there is another company I like as well for daily driving but I cant remember the name atm.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 PM
mustangcat

Originally Posted by ewgoetz
The most quiet brake pads you can get are the organic brake pads. but they give off alot of dust. prety much anything that is not organic is gonna squeal a little. I prefer raybestos organic brake pads for good stoping power for a daily driver. there is another company I like as well for daily driving but I cant remember the name atm.
Organic pads also wear down the quickest and are not safe for high speeds, but yes, they are very quiet.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

I'v not heard of anyone using the ceramic pads yet. Somebody must, though.

The rear pads are pretty easy. The piston rotates as it comes out of the bore - part of the parking brake mechanism. You have to rotate the piston to get it back in the bore.

The special tool you need is a little cube with various studs sticking out. The piston face has grooves that the studs fit in, you push and turn at the same time. It costs about $10 or so at Pep Boys.

I'v used a pait of needle nosed pliers. Put one point in each groove, push, and turn.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

mustangcat, is the hawk pads you have the ceramic or not? I cant decide! hahaha

also, does anyone have a rightup of how to do the rears the RIGHT way....im sure i can find one if i look around, but its off to work for me right now
Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS Are these the ones your talking about? If so thats what im running and there great. Little brake dust and there quiet.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:23 AM
95 madness
1st Gear Member

I just bought a set of front and rear crossed drilled and vented rotors with ceramic pads for both on my 95 and installed them last week. I bought that darn cube didn't work on my rears I had to rent there brake kit ( Advanced ) they cube was just not the right size . But heck yeah not as much dust the braking is better I won't complain. I got the rotors and pads for my gt around 195 delivered not a bad deal.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 PM
mustangcat

Originally Posted by sandcracker21
mustangcat, is the hawk pads you have the ceramic or not? I cant decide! hahaha

also, does anyone have a rightup of how to do the rears the RIGHT way....im sure i can find one if i look around, but its off to work for me right now
Yep. I have the Hawk Pads right now.
You can get them at a good price at Americanmuscle.com
Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

so mustang cat... just to confirm, you have the CERAMIC hawk pads right now? do you have the stock rotors?

Quick Reply: ceramic brake pads??