General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:48 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Economy

light foot
dont know how to do that

Old 06-17-2005, 12:59 PM
dothack
2nd Gear Member

true dual exhaust with flowmasters and remove all cats.... seriously, i also been concern regarding my fuel economy (since i use my stang for school/work everyday) so a new ebay cai and true duals did the job.. still uses gas like any stang v6 but it feels i save at least a day until i go to the gas station to fill it up again..and yeah, light foot is a must
Old 06-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Foxfire

dothack, when you bought the CAI off ebay did you buy a generic brand, or did you buy a name brand? and either way does anybody have a recomendation on a good CAI to purchase?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:49 PM
dothack
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Foxfire

dothack, when you bought the CAI off ebay did you buy a generic brand, or did you buy a name brand? and either way does anybody have a recomendation on a good CAI to purchase?
its a generic brand..it cost me $45 bucks with S&H. they are some other expensive ones but i failed to see the difference between those and the cheap ebay ones. I mean, the whole point for the cai is to take the filter into the fender for cool air..and both the expensive and the cheap one do it.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:17 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

the only things that should imprve gas mileage are things like underdrive pulleys, deleted accesories and reduced weight.

most every other mod brings more air into the engine or helps it get out faster.

more air coming into the engine means more fuel is needed to compensate resulting in decreased mileage.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:35 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke
Increased horsepower and increased gas mileage just don't go together.
ORIGINAL: fordguy17
most every other mod brings more air into the engine or helps it get out faster.

more air coming into the engine means more fuel is needed to compensate resulting in decreased mileage.
Not true, Most of the bolt ons out there add to your fuel economy & horsepower. Heads, intake, & exhaust. They add power & fuel economy because they flow better. Stock parts are bad about fuel economy because of all the restrictions.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:55 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

than why do people with h/c/i go with 24 pound injectors and bigger fuel pump?

turbos and superchargers also make an engine more efficeint yet people have to run 30-42 pound injectors to supply enough fuel.

take a stock 5.0 and one with h/c/i and the stock one will get better gas mileage.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:02 PM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

If you want good fuel economy, why buy a V8? [:@]
Old 06-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

you can have a stock 225 hp stang and a 500hp stang and the 500hp stang will get better milage then the stock stang because it takes less of the power the motor makes to move the car, but you cant be getting on it all of the time ither. if your stepping on it then your milage is going to go down hill really fast.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

It takes a certain amount of power to move a car at a given speed.Removing parasitic drag with pulley's,intake upgrades,and exhaust improvements will give an increase in fuel economy.You can also help the engine burn less fuel by using a timing adjuster.My Mustang GT 5 speed gets 32 mpg.This is on a two lane 55mph road and using a light foot.It has a high flow air filter,underdrive pulleys,MAF screen removed,trimmed air silencer,75 mm t/b and plenum,and a full Bassani exhaust.

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy