General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hey not sure where to post this.. stangs in rain/snow

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:22 PM
tazmatic

Exclamation Hey not sure where to post this.. stangs in rain/snow

So this is kinda a general Question,

what do i do for snow..?

basicly im one of those idiot kids that bangs up his new stang in the first rain and realizes HEY RWD sucks in the rain/snow.. (no i wasnt speeding just quickly found out how stang's don't work in slims in the rain.. )

wasnt all that bad just a tree hit the drives side fender enough to push the frame no kinks so far tho =))))

but i been thinking i need a solution to the snow.. i don't know if that thing can even handle snow at 20mph..
it was modded too 300Bhp BEFORE i got it and the guy put slim+slick pirellies on it witch worked nice in the dry weather.

-anyone know any tricks? i heard sand bags in the trunk help (makes sence)
-deflating your tiers..? wouldnt that create MORE flat mass to slip with?
-"snow tiers" any help at all? i was thinking studded tiers maybe but those are band in winter season..

or should i save up 1-3grand for a banger for the winter?

(im inexperienced I'm kinda a lone modder i know of some other ppl who modd/tune but there a bunch of idiots street raceing civics i just want to make a daily that i can drag at the strip with and earn some braggings slips.
so any info on anything relating to stangs/modding/driving is a good start.)
Old 04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
pdub42
1st Gear Member

i would suggest saving up some money for a beater, better tires will definatly help, I drove my 97 stang in ohio snows for the last 3 years and it did decent with good tires, although i did have one accident where i slid into a guard rail. I have a new stang now tho and to me its not worth taking a chance messing up my new car I will be trying to get a beater for winter even if it still sucks in the snow, just something to keep my stang off the road. Another thing is you can be as safe as possible but still have an accident if some idiot cant drive in the snow and slides into you.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:58 PM
tazmatic

Originally Posted by pdub42
i would suggest saving up some money for a beater, better tires will definatly help, I drove my 97 stang in ohio snows for the last 3 years and it did decent with good tires, although i did have one accident where i slid into a guard rail. I have a new stang now tho and to me its not worth taking a chance messing up my new car I will be trying to get a beater for winter even if it still sucks in the snow, just something to keep my stang off the road. Another thing is you can be as safe as possible but still have an accident if some idiot cant drive in the snow and slides into you.
true, thats what i know i should do but it horible to thing of my baby locked in a storge lot for 5-7 months.. because it a convertible also so snow is just bad news all over for that car
Old 04-27-2009, 04:14 PM
pdub42
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tazmatic
true, thats what i know i should do but it horible to thing of my baby locked in a storge lot for 5-7 months.. because it a convertible also so snow is just bad news all over for that car
yea that does suck ill probably drive mine around a few times through the winter if theres a day with no snow or salt on the ground. I forgot to mention about keepin the car out of the salt too, bought brand new ceramic headers for my other car in august, drove it through one winter and by spring the bottoms were rusted like crazy and the nice shiny coating was just peeling right off.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM
tazmatic

Angry

Originally Posted by pdub42
yea that does suck ill probably drive mine around a few times through the winter if theres a day with no snow or salt on the ground. I forgot to mention about keepin the car out of the salt too, bought brand new ceramic headers for my other car in august, drove it through one winter and by spring the bottoms were rusted like crazy and the nice shiny coating was just peeling right off.
OHHH so the salt is what rusts out your engine!?
cause my engine bay is super clean atm and i wanted to keep it that way my old honda was allll brown under the hood well just another reason to store it =(
Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

I basically had to take my 95 5.0 mudding to get to where I worked at for about 4 months. I am always too cheap to buy new tires until the wires are showing on the treads. It's not a matter of tires or sandbags in the back. It's just driving skill. You have to know when to press the brakes or just let it coast. Know how to turn the wheel in the curves with steady and precise movements.

Why save the money up to buy a beater when you can't keep a mustang on the road when it rains? You'd just wreck it too.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 PM
95greengt
3rd Gear Member

i say get ya a beater ...and while your stang sits all winter use that time to modd it
Old 04-27-2009, 09:12 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Snow tires help, especially on smaller vehicles. Weight can help, but you have better weight distribution over both axles in your Mustang than you would, say, in a RWD pickup truck. I owned a pickup before my Explorer, and like mudvayne1 says, it's driving skill that will do you the most good. Try this: when it snows, (carefully) drive to a large parking lot that's relatively clear of light poles, parking blocks, and curbs, then give your car some power during different maneuvers and see how it handles. Learn how it slides, how it reacts to steering and acceleration inputs on snow, and use what you learn there to decide what course of action you want to take from there on out.

I have an Explorer that I drive in the winter (or when they expect storms), and I'll say that on snow (not ice), 4-wheel drive is great, but it doesn't make you invincible to the effects of slick roads (or other idiot drivers that crash into you). But I also have a 70-mile commute to and from Dearborn every day. If you don't drive that much every day, you may not want to invest in a 'winter vehicle'.

Whatever you do, enjoy your Mustang. And welcome!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the empty parking lot deal. When I was 16 I would get off work late at night and everytime the roads were wet I would stop at the same empty parking lot and practice counter steering and just experimenting seeing what would happen when I did what.

That experience has saved my *** more than 1 time.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:50 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Howd that feel smashing up your new ride?

Quick Reply: Hey not sure where to post this.. stangs in rain/snow