General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1983 glx convertible overheating (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:23 PM
complete noob

Question 1983 glx convertible overheating (pics inside)

i originally posted this in the wrong section (thanks to BA Mustang for pointing that out). i believe this is the right one in which to post this. i realize there is a convertible sub-section but i don't think my problem has anything to do with the fact that the car is a convertible. if this is the wrong place, feel free to let me know. mods also feel free to simply move it to the right one. thanks!

hi everyone

i recently inherited this car and i pretty much love it. it keeps over heating, however. it will be fine until it's been driving for about 5 minutes and then the thermostat will just jump way up, almost hitting all the way to the right. so far, i've tried:
  1. turning the heat on full blast: this lets the temp drop momentarily but within minutes it's right back up again.
  2. replacing the thermostat: had no effect.

looking under the hood, i noticed what is in the linked images. please note that my username is very accurate. i have no idea what the accordion-looking thing is that is cracked; but, logically, i assume that since it is torn, somehow air is not being vented properly.

thoughts? if more information is needed, i'll do my best to provide it.

any help is greatly appreciated. i just don't want to look like a complete idiot when i take it to a mechanic.

thanks in advance guys and gals!

http://i44.tinypic.com/9h3rdw.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/3325wlt.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2vs5emd.jpg
Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

That 'accordion looking thing' is part of your intake. In the fender wall is your air filter. The air goes through that boot and into your carb. It could be drawing hot air into it sitting so close to the engine. Get some black tape and tape it up.

Have you checked your coolant level?
Radiator may need flushed.
Is there any antifreeze leaking around the waterpump? It is the blue thing sitting behind the pulley in the center of your engine.
Does your fan work?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:30 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

use duct tape on that