General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Do a proper burnout?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 PM
elmustango

Default Do a proper burnout?

Hey guys, new here and I had a question...I've never driven a rear wheel drive car up until a week ago when I bought my first mustang so I'm still getting used to how it handles. So before I break anything how do you do a good burn out?

i know on front wheel drive cars you rev it up, pop the clutch mash the brakes and hold on to the e-brake i tried it with the mustang, not holding the e-brake of course and got a few wheel hops but no burn out...

instruct a newbe? thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Deputy2B4Life

lol... this is the dumbest question ive heard in a while... but what the hell rook.. Ill do my best. Um, first turn off the traction control, if you have that option... second, put the car in 1st gear and rev the engine to 4-5 thousand rpm.. third let the cluch out.. As the car begins to spin, place your left foot on the brake.. You have to do it quick, but dont apply too much pressure.. Hold the the throttle around 5k and enjoy.. If your going to do this, Id do it in an area where you have room until you get used to controlling the car.. Dont crash your new GT, trying to be cool... That wouldnt be cool at all... lol
Old 05-04-2009, 10:06 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

Dumbest question you've heard in a while? You haven't been here for a while yet n00b.

Good explanation though. It's simple. It's more of a learn on your own rather than step by step instructions.

If its powerful enough you can start in 2nd rather than first.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Or you could just turn off trac control and hit the loud pedal from a stop.. if youre a real man
Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 PM
rebels 01gt

hey i got a 2001 gt auto and when i go to do a burn out or launch it hard it dies a 3 grand and then comes back do yall know what might cause this problem if so get at me please i cant figure it out for nothing
Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
elmustango

Originally Posted by Deputy2B4Life
lol... this is the dumbest question ive heard in a while... but what the hell rook.. Ill do my best. Um, first turn off the traction control, if you have that option... second, put the car in 1st gear and rev the engine to 4-5 thousand rpm.. third let the cluch out.. As the car begins to spin, place your left foot on the brake.. You have to do it quick, but dont apply too much pressure.. Hold the the throttle around 5k and enjoy.. If your going to do this, Id do it in an area where you have room until you get used to controlling the car.. Dont crash your new GT, trying to be cool... That wouldnt be cool at all... lol
LOL...I know it's a dumb question but I'd rather ask and see .....I did learn something...take the traction control off, didn't know that before..thanks for the info and it's not about looking cool the hell with that it's to learn how to handle these beauties...lol thanks guys
Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 PM
5.0stang123
2nd Gear Member

Ya i always do donuts I cant do brake stands because its onlt in first and my car shakes to much feels horrible.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Deputy2B4Life

Cool

lol,thought it was just silly because I thought everyone knew how to do that.. Yea, if the traction control is on, the computer shuts fuel from the motor when it realizes the car is loosing traction.. Thus meaning, the car falls on its face... Traction Control= No Fun...
Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 AM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

I see all you guys have manuals that are doing these burnouts, I have an 07 auto, so my ? is, is it safe when i take the traction control and overdrive off and just hold the break and hit the gas to do a burnout. how should an auto do a burnout?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 AM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildazme
I see all you guys have manuals that are doing these burnouts, I have an 07 auto, so my ? is, is it safe when i take the traction control and overdrive off and just hold the break and hit the gas to do a burnout. how should an auto do a burnout?
yes its safe to take tc and o/d off.the way i do the burn out in the automatic is i take tc and o/d off put it in 1st hold the brake and bring the rpms to 5000.after a second or 2 of holding it there you should be able to see a big cloud of smoke.by the way keep your windows up while burning rubber.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do a proper burnout?