General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

airbag question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 08:12 PM
JFIVEO
1st Gear Member

Default airbag question

I want to know how hard it would be to switch out the steering wheel. I am swapping the interior out. I need to know if I was to take out the airbags to put on an aftermarket wheel would the airbag light come on? If so what could I do to make it go out?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Y2K TRIBUTE MUSTANG
1st Gear Member

Default RE: airbag question

Are you planning on removing the drivers air bag, and the passengers?

I just did the drivers airbag and put in a new steering wheel about a month ago. About the time I went to do it I couldn't find any information to help me. It isn't a very popular mod it seems because you will lose your airbag, and possibly your cruise if the replacement wheel doesn't have the buttons for it.

Anyway, I was kind of on my own anybody who knew how all that wanted to tell me is where to write the check to. So I took what I know and went with it.

To answer your question it is very easy to remove the steering wheel and airbag, being the first time for me too, I took it way slower than I had to. It really isn't that complicated.

After I removed the airbag, and put in the new wheel the air bag light did come on, and flash, but there was no warning tones. So then I pulled the bulb from the Instrument Cluster only to find that the light was replaced by a horrible warning tone (worse than the one when you leave the door open)

Eventually, I ended up covering the bulb, and re-installing it, problem solved.

Here is an excellent link on how to remove your driver's air bag, and how to pull the wheel. The only thing left would be to put on your wheel. http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/fr500/index.shtml

Make sure you use a steering wheel puller, and also I would disconnect the battery for 30min. just to be on the safe side.

If you have any more ?'s just ask.