General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I’m in love.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 01:12 AM
CadetLee

Default I’m in love.

I was told by a guy at work (Steven) that another guy at work (Rick - he's only there 2 days/week max) is selling his '96 Mustang GT..I asked Steven if he thought Rick would let me drive the Mustang even if I didn't plan on buying it (can't afford it)..he said sure. So, I'm thinking 'that would be nice..maybe someday'.

I just went to Publix (not the one we work at) to meet a friend..and what do I see pull in? White S10 pickup (lift, big engine..etc)..and an orange Mustang GT. I'm like "No way"..considering I've never ran into either Steven or Rick outside of work, and none of us work at this store (~10pm on a Thursday night). I get out of my car..they're like "hey"..kinda suprised that I was there. Steven then told Rick what I'd asked before...I'm kinda standing around, waiting for them to finish their short conversation...Rick pulls the keys from his pocket, hands them to me, then goes in Publix. Holy....crap. I have the keys to a shiny orange '96 GT (one of 826, actually)..!

So, I slowly drove around a bit...got somewhat used to it (clutch was brand new..just installed today, kinda stiff...gas pedal was much stiffer than my Corolla)..then I noticed my dash was still dark. Bleh..no idea where the light switch is. Come back..Steven is standing by his truck -- said "I've never seen anybody test drive a car so long without the lights on"..he then shows me where the switch is, and tells me that I'm test driving..not to drive like a grandma.

So...~15mph in second..I punch it. Tires give a little chirp...nice V8 sound..and I'm at ~40mph in a few seconds. Nice! Took a few corners...absolutely NO body roll whatsoever. I've been told that American cars don't handle too great..well, that has been disproven first-hand.

I never went near redline (6k)..I think I barely touched 4 grand..so there's probably a LOT of pull that I didn't get to. It handled like a dream (from what I could tell, anyways)..and I loved the sound, and the seat fit me like a glove. Can't wait until I graduate college, then I'll finally be able to pick one up.

I couldn't believe when I was sitting inside & driving off..what are the chances that I'd run into these guys at a different store at this time of night..I'm still in half-disbelief.