General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default Paddle Shifters

Do these devices get rid of the inherent drivetrain loss that a conventional automatic suffers from? Do they still have a clutch like a typical manual transmission does?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:39 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

there is a thread in the concepts section that will answer this question for ya
Old 05-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I see that thread over there. And I posted this same question there. No responses so far that answer the drivetrain loss question.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Fobra
Banned

No, they only allow you to select gears. For it to be worth while you need an electronically controlled transmission, actuated hydramatics shift slow as ***** with electronic paddle kits. The best setup I have seen (that most people could reasonably afford) is the TCI system and the stock gm vette. However, the paddles will do nothing for the average user... just having a performance auto will get you much better results. The paddles pay off for people who autoX
Old 05-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Ah so a standard clutch setup (manual) will still have less drivetrain loss then eh? Kinda takes some of the appeal away then.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:47 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by Riptide
Ah so a standard clutch setup (manual) will still have less drivetrain loss then eh? Kinda takes some of the appeal away then.
$2000+ for 1% less drivetrain loss? I'll pass!
Old 05-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Well some people just don't want to be bothered with a manual because they think they won't be any good at it or it just takes more effort than they want to expend.

I was just curious as to how these paddle shift setups factor into drivetrain loss vs. the more common two options (true manual and automatic).
Old 05-24-2009, 05:14 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by Riptide
Well some people just don't want to be bothered with a manual because they think they won't be any good at it or it just takes more effort than they want to expend.

I was just curious as to how these paddle shift setups factor into drivetrain loss vs. the more common two options (true manual and automatic).
I see what your saying. The choice between fully automatic, and fully manual is kind of annoying. Paddle shifters would be fun, but I think there'd be a better alternative.

It think a Auto-Stick setup like Dodge uses would be a good replacement for the standard Automatic trans. Best of both worlds really; automatic for convenience and simplicity and the ability to change gears for the performance enthusiasts. If you've ever driven one you'll know what I'm talking about. You tap the shifter to the left to downshift, or to the right to upshift.

Dodge needs to perfect it though, the AutoStick trannys dyno lower than standard automatics. Meaning they cut corners somewhere.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:45 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The shifter mechanism doesn't factor into drivetrain loss. Drivetrain loss is mostly a factor of friction, rotating inertia, fluid drag etc. In the case of anything with a torque converter, there's additional loss from the converter itself, because it's a pump and no pump is 100% efficient.

Paddle shifters with a transmission set up to use them effectively, simply result in blisteringly fast shifting. The newer Ferrari F430's for example, have a gear to gear engagement time of around 60 milliseconds....in other words you don't even feel it upshift it happens so darn quick. It's not a matter of drivetrain loss, it's a matter of spending less time not putting power down with time wasted shifting gears.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the explanation. So they make shifting go extremely fast.

I'm not that well versed on transmissions. Yes or no. Regarding drivetrain loss. Will you have more with the paddle shifter vs. the regular clutch/manual? Strictly drivetrain power loss here not speed of shifts.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters