General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 11:54 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Engine Start Button

Professor Wizard Date 6/27/2005 9:44:28 AM
Mine came with a START button....

IT is on my remote control!

COOL feature!
Mine too! I had the dealer install it.

Here's how I'm wearing out the battery on my remote fob -
Click once - driver's door unlocks
Click twice - passenger door unlocks
Click 3rd time - listen to new throaty exhaust and SMILE!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Wldstng05
2nd Gear Member

Idiot Question Alert!
I assume you have to leave the car in neutral if you have remote start and the clutch is somehow bypassed?
OR do you not have to depress the clutch to start the new ones?

IF mine was HERE, I'd know that by now!!!!! Grrrrrrr! [:@] (building this week??)

I want a start button and a couple of toggles like the NASCAR guys.... they don't have to do anything - they just look cool.
Isn't Lexus or someone doing that now? Your "Key" is like a credit card or a RSA ID token or something - long as you have it with you
it will start?
Old 06-27-2005, 01:32 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Wldstng05 Date 6/27/2005 10:17:44 AM
Idiot Question Alert!
I assume you have to leave the car in neutral if you have remote start and the clutch is somehow bypassed?
OR do you not have to depress the clutch to start the new ones?

IF mine was HERE, I'd know that by now!!!!! Grrrrrrr! (building this week??)

Well, on mine it's not a problem - there is no clutch. In order to take it out of Park, you have to depress the brake pedal, at which point the remote start turns the car off (or you insert the key and turn on - oh yeah, you cannot kick the starter on while it's running). The brake-kill is to prevent theft while waiting for the car to warm up (or cool off by crankin' the AC). They may not offer it on cars with manual trannies.

It's tough to be patient while waiting on your Stang, but it will be definitely worth the wait!
Old 06-28-2005, 07:51 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

The power outlet hole did not need a lot of modification to make the switch fit. We did have to use a dremmel to make the hole a little bigger and to cut 4 nothces for the switch to fit. Here is a picture of the finished job. I don't have my car yet so we did this to my friend's car. It took about 1/2 an afternoon and 1/2 case of beer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15215/9796E60AF67343F087304F35CD2926F4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-28-2005, 08:06 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

That's a cool mod. I might have to do that myself. It'll save me about $55K instead of going and buying that Infiniti M45 Sport![8D]
Old 06-28-2005, 08:12 PM
2Stangs
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: odiaz

The power outlet hole did not need a lot of modification to make the switch fit. We did have to use a dremmel to make the hole a little bigger and to cut 4 nothces for the switch to fit. Here is a picture of the finished job. I don't have my car yet so we did this to my friend's car. It took about 1/2 an afternoon and 1/2 case of beer.

I'm not putting a pink button in my car.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:32 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

HaHaHa, it's Red with white letters.

You can get one to match your car from Ignited in red,blue, green or yellow. The switch from ignited has a translucent face and it is designed to fit in a standard cigarrete lighter hole without any modifications. It has a connection point that can be connected to your dash lights so you can dim it with the dash lights if you so desire.

The honda button has a solid red face, and only the letters illuminate.

I believe PEP boys sells the Ignited switch, or you can do a google search for "engine start switch"
Old 07-08-2005, 01:54 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Anybody else done this mod yet?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:07 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: odiaz

You guys drink slow....would have gone through a case of beer by then.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:13 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Was just thinking about this mod again today. The instructions say that the key has to be in the ACC position for it to work. Shouldn't the key be in the RUN position for it to start? Is there anybody else here who has done this yet? I don't want a fancy decoration with a pretty light, I want an actual push button start.

Maybe they meant the RUN position. I guess I'm just a little paranoid after having been somewhat ripped off by BMW3hai5 on the Saleen Xenon headlights; which I still haven't installed yet. I have all the pieces, just haven't made time to install them.

Quick Reply: Engine Start Button