General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:09 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Default Engine Start Button

Here's a funtional yet simple and inexpensive mod. An Engine Start switch. These instructions are for the Honda S2000 Engine start switch but it will work with just about any momentary contact switch. The switch is available from your local Honda dealer but it's available from HandA for less. I got it for less then $40 delivered. Sometimes you can find them on Ebay for less. If you want a Ford part, you can order the engine start button for the Ford GT from your Ford dealer but the lowest price found was over $200. I pout the P/N for the Ford switch in the write up for those fo you with deaper pockets.

This mod only requires 2 wires (Hot and a tap into the starter wire from the ignition key; the ground wire is not necessary unles you are using an illuminated switch.)

The light on this switch can't be dimmed because there is no separate connection for the lamp, however it is very dim and not overly obnoxious. The button is a solid red and the only thing that illuminates are the letters.

Start Button instructions

You don't have to worry about someone pushing the button and driving away with your baby. To operate the switch, you need to have the key in the acc position and then push the button. You might ask 'if you need the key anyway, why bother?' The answer is 'just for the coolness factor'.

The button works well in cars with a manual tranny because the engine wont crank unless the clutch is depressed. I'm not sure what will happen if you are idling in park with an automatic and someone presses the button. I imagine the starter will kick in and make an awful sound as your fly wheel teeth mesh with the starter gears.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:10 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Start Button

but since the 05 has the little chip in the ignition key....
Old 06-27-2005, 02:14 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

You still have to have the key in the ignition for this to work. You can start the car by either turning the key as you normally do or by just leaving the key in the ACC position and pressing the start button. Again, it doesn't buy you much, it's just a cool looking toy to play with.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:15 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Just one question-
How much horsepower does it add?
End of question----
Old 06-27-2005, 03:36 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

^^^ what he said...

I'm sure it is cool and all... and those commercials are very entertaining... but my money is too precious right now for baubles...
Old 06-27-2005, 04:57 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Give the guy a break!!! He was mearly giving us instructions on how to do this to your car. He didn't say that you HAD TO DO IT OR YOU WILL DIE!!! Thank him, don't give him a hard time.

Anyways, Thanks, You should post this in the DIY forum.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:29 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

It adds as much horsepower as the chin spoilers, rims, non-functional hood scoops, stripes, dash trim, shorty antenna, paited callipers, leather boots, hood struts and all the other styling mods listed in this forum.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Robs05gtvert
2nd Gear Member

[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 06-27-2005, 11:04 AM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

Hey, thanks for the tip. Could be a nice "cool factor mod" One question, what kind of modification was needed for the switch to fit into the power outlet opening or does it fit in exactly? (I didn't read all the instructions yet, so if you cover it there sorry for the question)
Old 06-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Mine came with a START button....

IT is on my remote control!

COOL feature!

Quick Reply: Engine Start Button