General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2003 cobra hp increase?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:46 PM
dmash5629

Cool 2003 cobra hp increase?

i have a basically stock 2003 cobra with bout 80k miles.
i live in panama city beach where everyone comes for spring and summer break so basically im just wanting her to sound and look great. any suggestions?

Last edited by dmash5629; 06-15-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Fobra
Banned

1) a good set of a DR tires, like MT ET streets - $500
2) An steigmeir port job on the blower and pulley swap - $2000
3) Getting your stock cobra heads ported and polished with better cams/valves/springs - $3500
4) Intercooler upgrade - $1500

- If you did all of this, you would probably be sitting close to 600 rwhp. Imo if you do a blower swap (like a KB or Whipple) then get the heads work before you try and push crazy boost, like 18+

you can just pulley swap and tune, but I wouldn't do it if it were my car w/o having steig re-work it. A dyno tune will get you about 30rwhp by itself.

Last edited by Fobra; 06-15-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:44 AM
badloser
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
3) Getting your stock cobra heads ported and polished with better cams/valves/springs - $3500

- If you did all of this, you would probably be sitting close to 600 rwhp. Imo if you do a blower swap (like a KB or Whipple) then get the heads work before you try and push crazy boost, like 18+

you can just pulley swap and tune, but I wouldn't do it if it were my car w/o having steig re-work it. A dyno tune will get you about 30rwhp by itself.
you forgot a lot of stuff.. the stock cobra fuel sysatem will not handle 600whp you will need to step up to twin focus pumps or better yet twin Ford GT pumps then you will need some kind of exhaust like a Kooks system and a air intake system along with a upgraded clutch. Then a new diff and the stocker will be hurting. I dont know who is porting your stock blower for 2k but I want his job. I can get it done for $300 .. if the car was mine I would do
1:JLT intake $185
2:UPR x-pipe and magna flow exhaust $550
3:riechart sure grip pully $180
4:SCT tune $400 total so far is $1315 for 450whp

if you need some more
5:focus pumps with harness $450
6:NOS cobra kit $425 total is now $2190 and 550 to the wheels and all with a stock blower....stock heads why pull the motor apart to make and extra 50hp?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:29 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

lot of bad info here. where do you find these prices? they are way off.

first of all, the stock intercooler and heat exchanger work perfectly fine and upgrading them is a waste of money. besides, it wouldn't cost 1500.

the stock heads flow perfectly fine and a lot of owners don't mess with a port and polish and for street driving, i don't think you have to worry about it.

a port and pulley for 2k?! a port, pulley, and tune should be a little over 1k, and will give you some nice gains. 600rwhp? hell no, more like 500rwhp. 600 is almost unheard of on the stock eaton s/c. plus, i wouldn't be pushing the eaton past 15psi. it really starts to produce too much heat past that.

the drag radial would be a good upgrade but it would probably be a good idea to strengthen the IRS first. launching the stock IRS is a bad idea, especially with a sticky tire.

the best advice would be to head over to svtperformance.com and read up. there are a handful of supporting mods that are a must also. you need to research before you start modding these cars.

btw...what are your ultimate goals for the car?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 PM
dmash5629

im not planning on taking it on the track but it would be nice if she got off the stop light fast haha

Last edited by dmash5629; 06-17-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 AM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

+1 on bad info...the prices are WAAYYYY wrong and so is the needing a fuel system part.

I run stock fuel pumps and a BAP and make 750 HP to the ground. You just need bigger injectors. Stock everything and 60 lb injectors will handle around 700 rwhp. That is the limit I've seen out of the fuel system.

IRS brace = Must have.

CAI and a tune = Should have.

Exhaust and gears = Would be nice to have.

But how much power do you want? Answer that and we (well some of us) can tell you how to get there.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
lot of bad info here. where do you find these prices? they are way off.

first of all, the stock intercooler and heat exchanger work perfectly fine and upgrading them is a waste of money. besides, it wouldn't cost 1500.

the stock heads flow perfectly fine and a lot of owners don't mess with a port and polish and for street driving, i don't think you have to worry about it.

a port and pulley for 2k?! a port, pulley, and tune should be a little over 1k, and will give you some nice gains. 600rwhp? hell no, more like 500rwhp. 600 is almost unheard of on the stock eaton s/c. plus, i wouldn't be pushing the eaton past 15psi. it really starts to produce too much heat past that.

the drag radial would be a good upgrade but it would probably be a good idea to strengthen the IRS first. launching the stock IRS is a bad idea, especially with a sticky tire.

the best advice would be to head over to svtperformance.com and read up. there are a handful of supporting mods that are a must also. you need to research before you start modding these cars.

btw...what are your ultimate goals for the car?
I was referring to ported heads w/ a ported and pullied blower - it will be close to 600. 240 cfm is by no means "good".

Thank you captain and co-captain obvious. I didn't know I had to spell everything out to a 5th grade level.... an internet posting doesn't matter that much.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

Even w/ ported heads an Eaton car will not make 600 without N20. The Eaton, even ported, just doesn't provide enough CFM for 600 HP regardless of how well the heads flow. Not to mention the HP it takes to turn that thing at 15-16 psi. Ported heads should not be considered mandatory unless you're already dropping coin on a built motor.

Am I saying ported heads aren't beneficial? No. They are just financially not worth it if all you have on the car is a ported/pullied eaton. A set of nicely done heads will cost anywhere from 2000-3500 (3-8000 for the SHM versions)bucks...that's just for the heads (AFTER a core trade in some cases)...add cams/valve springs you're looking at another 1500 easy. So for 5000 bucks you just added maybe 50-60 HP. You could spend that $$$ on a Twin Screw and quadruple those gains for the same, or less, cost.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:07 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

I was referring to ported heads w/ a ported and pullied blower - it will be close to 600. 240 cfm is by no means "good".

Thank you captain and co-captain obvious. I didn't know I had to spell everything out to a 5th grade level.... an internet posting doesn't matter that much.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Fobra
Banned

everybody and there mother makes 500+ on a stage 5 stieggy port, you dont think a 100 more cfm in the heads will do it... I beg to differ. I think 550-575 would be common place. In fact, a local guy here made 570 (was wrong).... but thats b/c im just liar and I make stuff up to impress you on the internet

But as far as just a blower swap... yes if you want to push 20lbs of boost and run race gas, its not reliable. Either way your going to have to push alot of boost, but imo the more you make with less boost the better off your are. The OP said he wasn't looking to spend a fortune, but the better heads would pay off in the long run if later decided to swap the blower. Honestly I just recommended the steggie because its a good cheap upgrade, I would get my heads ported and swap a 3.4 whipple if it were my car, it was just a suggestion... but Ill leave it to you pros to have the definitive internet decision

Last edited by Fobra; 06-17-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 cobra hp increase?