General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

car vibration with new wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:05 PM
tim.route

Are the aftermarket wheels hub centric? You may need hub rings
Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 AM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Just trowing this out there have you the drive shaft.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:17 PM
tat2ood

Originally Posted by tim.route
Are the aftermarket wheels hub centric? You may need hub rings
Yes I had them made ! Cost me 80 bucks ! New lugs also with a deeper taper, they did nothing !!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:21 PM
tat2ood

Originally Posted by gunpig0313
Just trowing this out there have you the drive shaft.
I talked to the ford dealer, he said that my tires have excessive runout on them(not round). He sad the wheels fit perfect (mach 1.) He also stated that my drive shaft is borderline, it could use a balance. He said to buy better tires, so I did, there on there way(michelen). He also said the best to go with a balance on the outside lips, more accurate ! So between the 3, he said i will be good to go ! lets hope !
Old 06-18-2009, 11:49 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

"He said to buy better tires, so I did, there on there way(michelen). He also said the best to go with a balance on the outside lips, more accurate ! So between the 3, he said i will be good to go ! lets hope !"

Good choice on tires, but I would not put wheel weights on the outside of the rim it looks like ****, and you get jack@$$es that don't care about your $h!t, and F your rims up. I have scratches all on the lips of 2 rims, and it pisses me of I told them to use tape weights on the rims but i guess what the customer want's they don't get anymore.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The best balance (and the one that can get there with the least amount of weights) is when you can mount the weights to the wheel flanges. But that may not always be possible, in which case stick-on weights placed inside the "barrel" of the wheel but close to the edge is almost as good (weight-wise, anyway). Definitely third choice is some weights on the inside flange and the others in the barrel of the wheel but out of easy sight behind the wheel center. Run away from any place that wants to put all of the weights in a single plane (static balance only).

With respect to stick-ons - they can and do come loose/fly off, especially little ones. The racer's trick involves taping over them (racer's tape, duct tape, etc.). For any stick-on weights behind the wheel center, this is not particularly visible unless you're specifically looking for appearance flaws, such as at a car show.

gun - you need to find a shop that will work with you.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-19-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 PM
tat2ood

Originally Posted by gunpig0313
"He said to buy better tires, so I did, there on there way(michelen). He also said the best to go with a balance on the outside lips, more accurate ! So between the 3, he said i will be good to go ! lets hope !"

Good choice on tires, but I would not put wheel weights on the outside of the rim it looks like ****, and you get jack@$$es that don't care about your $h!t, and F your rims up. I have scratches all on the lips of 2 rims, and it pisses me of I told them to use tape weights on the rims but i guess what the customer want's they don't get anymore.
Yea, the guy at ntb told me that, mine are topcoated wheels. He said it will be ok but if i rebalance the wheels, or change tires, my rim will be messed up rite there. Hard to say, they did a balance where there is a weight on the inside of the rim, and a sticky weight like 2 inches from the outside lip....After what I ben through , I cant deciede ! Maybe ill give it a try with the stickys again....If its not perfect, i will do the rip lip.