General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Advice For Buying A Used Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 PM
mustang nakotah
1st Gear Member

Default Need Advice For Buying A Used Mustang

hi i'm sorry if i am posting in the wrong thread so if i am, please move it into the appropriate forum. thanks!
ok, i am looking to buy my OWN and i mean my OWN mustang first time ever. my husband and i share one stang and that's the one pictured below. anyway, i've been looking on craigslist and found some really good deals. however, i've contacted a bunch of them and they sure are flakers. and then some of the best ones i've seen gets sold out fast. but the real question is, if i do buy and i know i will buy a used mustang (98-02) what should i be on the look out for? and please say nothing about taking my husband to go with me and check it out because he doesn't know much about cars. so i need you nice people to tell me some things so i can be prepared for. thanks!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:32 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

-Take it for a test drive. Keep an eye/ear out for strange vibrations, rattles, etc. While driving on a flat, smooth road, let go of the wheel for a second or two. Doe's the car drive straight ahead? If not, it needs an alignment.
-Look at the tires. Is there plenty of tread? Do the tires look newish?
-Get a CarFax done. You can look for any accidents in the vehicles past.
-Test all the electrical equipment. Door locks, windows, cruise control, stereo, A/C, heater, lights, etc.
-Under the hood: look at the drive belt(connects all the accessories to the engine, it's a serpentine belt) Is there major cracking, streaking, or splicing? If it's an Automatic, look at the tranny dipstick. Can you see metal shavings or anything that looks not like oil on the dipstick?

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
Get a bluebook value and NADA value done on both cars. They both have websites and take about 5 min. to fill out yourself. This is NO TIME to overpay for a car; the economy says so. Used cars are sold AS-IS, meaning if something breaks, your out of luck. Remember: modifications don't add value to a car. Stereo systems, engine parts, cool lights, etc. may look cool...But they don't make that car worth any more money.

MustangForums has your back. Now go shopping
Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 AM
mustang nakotah
1st Gear Member

i'm gonna list everything down you said. thanks!! especially when i call the owners by phone, it's tough to ask certain questions about the engine. i am very concern about it, of course and also looking for an automatic.
i checked out this 1999 mustang for $2500 and i saw that the engine light was on. after seeing that, it's a no- no.

Last edited by mustang nakotah; 06-25-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:20 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Depending on where you are and if your state requires a title, make SURE that it's a clear title. Not salvaged or rebuilt. There is alot of that in Texas, people either dont have the title, or it's salvaged.

Take it for a test drive, make sure that it doesn't overheat. If it's an auto, make sure the tranny isn't slipping or shuddering, if it's a 5 speed, make sure that it goes into gear easily and make sure that the clutch isn't slipping. Actually feel the tires to make sure that there is good tread, so people use tricks to make the tires look like they have more tread. Check the ground where it was parked, make sure that there is no oil on the ground.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:45 AM
67fire
2nd Gear Member

Let me add: If it smokes when you first start it, it probably needs new guides and seals in the cylinder heads. $$$

Eric
Old 06-25-2009, 05:30 PM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

Look for rust, flat spots on the rims (I've seen them on the inside edges...), listen carefully to the rear end (if the gears are making noise). Also while test-driving and taking turns, listen for a hum from the wheel bearings - if there is a noise it'll be noticeable. Also everything the others said.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 PM
mustang nakotah
1st Gear Member

hey thanks for the advice everyone! well, i took my dad in law with me which was a good choice i'm sure. i probably would have preferred my brother in law because he has a 5.0 mustang and is always working on it.
so i finally bought a black 1996 gt but the guy is gonna deliver it tomorrow morning. i only put a $100 deposit because who knows, the guy could accidentally kill my car. i can't wait to fix that baby up. i love the sound of the engine. it was awesome! i'm so excited! so this is what the boys have been talking about.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:03 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

congrats and post up some pics.