General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Clearing up some CAI misconceptions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:07 AM
solidsnake

Default Clearing up some CAI misconceptions.

Alright, so I got my 2008 gt about a month back from a police auction, and it came loaded with a WMS ram air CAI, BBK 62mm twin throttle body, and a custom tune among other things. Being the noob that I am, I bought a C&L racer intake with a predator tuner, and took it to the dyno because the hype was that this was one of the best CAI's on the market. A few hours and a couple of dyno runs later, it turned out that the C&L produced significantly less HP than the WMS high velocity CAI, and I'm telling you guys now, I could feel it when I drove it in between tunes. A lot of people have told me that ram air CAI's suck, but I just thought I'd share this since I actually experienced it first hand. I'll scan the print out sheet later, to show you guys the actual data. But the WMS was actually about a second faster than the C&L in 0-60. So for anyone still on the market for a CAI, I highly recommend the WMS. It's one hell of an intake.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:00 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

1. The issues with tuning on Ram Air CAIs occur on the road at speed. On a dyno you dont usually see these effects since even with a fan you get constant air pressure.

2. If you were running the C&L with Canned Diablo Tune versus the WMS with a proper Custom Tune Im not suprised at the results. However its likely the results are primarily from the superiority of one tune over the other not the intake.

3. Both the WMS and C&L are good intakes when used in the proper application. The issue with the WMS is it generally needs a good tuner who is willing to do road work to get it truly right. When its right its as good as anything on the market for a mild bolt-on car. The C&L Racer has a rep for being a little oversize for an almost stock car. Ultimately you want to use as much of the sensors range as possible for the best precision in control of AFR. The fix for that is a smaller 88-90mm MAF section in the C&L.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:15 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Agreed- the previous tune was probably slightly customized for the WMS intake.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Geezus a FULL SECOND improvement in 0-60 from one CAI to another? Something's fugged up!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

This smells like a plug to me.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:46 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
This smells like a plug to me.
HEHE- might be, nice catch.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:40 PM
solidsnake

well i have no idea, all i know is that there was a huge difference in performance. I just thought I'd share that since everyone usually trashes short ram intakes. But there was a seconds difference in 0-60. That I remember for sure, I was like wtf when I saw that.