General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Problems with 08 gt500

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:41 PM
cmom

Default Problems with 08 gt500

I have an 08 gt500 with 19000 miles on it-not one problem until now. My clutch disc appears to be slipping. When I first bought the car it made a grinding noise when the car was in second gear- the dealer told me this was normal- said it was kind of like the old rockcrusher transmissions and not to worry. I dont know if this has anything to do with it but talking to the dealership today they told me this is a normal wear and tear item and not covered under the "bumper to bumper" warranty and wanted to charge me a $250.00 tear down fee to see what was wrong with it and how much to fix, then if I didnt like the price to fix it I would have to tow it home- they would not put it back together. Needless to say I drove the car home and its parked until I can get more info-I dont know if they are treating me this way because Im a girl or what. Thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 12:21 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Yeah they're treating you like that because your a girl.
Is there another dealership nearby you can take it to?
Or, have your boyfriend/dad/uncle/etc. whomever in your family is more....assertive, and have them take it in and get the dealership to look at it.

When they said it's not covered, without knowing whats wrong with it, thats a huge red flag right there.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 AM
SKAR

Could you possibly ride the clutch and have it dead already and needing to be replaced?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:38 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Did you buy the car new? Hell no it shouldn't be making any grinding noises from the tranny if you were shifting it correctly.

"like old rockcrusher transmissions"? Is the freakin dealer on crack?? Is he saying the NEW Stang tranny has somthing in common with a Chevy M22 tranny from the 70's?? Duh
Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by GreyStang
Did you buy the car new? Hell no it shouldn't be making any grinding noises from the tranny if you were shifting it correctly.

"like old rockcrusher transmissions"? Is the freakin dealer on crack?? Is he saying the NEW Stang tranny has somthing in common with a Chevy M22 tranny from the 70's?? Duh
Forward progress my friend.

OP: +1 on having a male handle it, and not a meek yes man either. Squeaky wheel gets the grease with dealerships, you've tried the girl thing, being nice and cute and all, that didn't work, now you need a guy that makes it clear to them that this is unacceptable. Are you abusing the car though? Or are you just dealing with another quality part built by Ford?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:04 AM
cmom

Well I've spent the last few days researhing this and fighting with Ford. Yes I bought this car new and I mostly baby it but I have lost to temptation a few times to the occasional jap crap in the lane next to me- sometimes you have to put them in their place. I did find out the Gt500's built before 9/08 have a TSB number on this issue called clutch drag. This defect causes the flywheel to warp and eventually the clutch disc slippage which has even happened to Gt 500's with as little as 400 miles on them.Ford is well aware of this prob.-they have redesigned this after 9/08.This problem that Ford refuses to cover under warranty by playing stupid is going to cost me approx.4800.00 to fix. I even approach the service manager with the TSB number-4 local dealerships played dumb while 1 actually knew what I was talking about- I'm taking it there tom. We'll see. I did find the email addresses to some Ford corp.heads- I'll email them tom.Ford says recalling this prob will cost them 45M - but its norm wear and tear at 19000 miles? Right
Old 08-18-2009, 12:29 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

That's complete BS. 1, it's covered under the powertrain warranty, and 2, if there's a TSB and your car falls in the manufacture date of the known issue, then THEY FIX IT AT THEIR COST. Tell them if they don't get off their lazy *** that you'll have the BAR(Bureau of Automotive Repair, at least in California, probably something different in your state) come done on them like a herd of elephants.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:06 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Just go to a different dealer. I have a customer with an 07' which we have installed L.T. headers/full exhaust, pullied down, CAI, etc. He took it in a few weeks ago for the clutch TSB.......no problem with the dealer.

Casey
Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

Some dealers could you use the excuse "you weren't shifting right" to get out of bumper to bumper warranty, which they're technically correct but in your case there's no way they should pull that out, also like 67mustang302 it does fall under the powertrain warranty especially with a TSB.

You should insist on having them fix the problem without paying a single penny, take it up as high as you can don't talk to the dealer, if he doesn't give you the result demand to talk to his manager, and keep going up I promise you it'll work. In the end be ****chy because stuff like that would **** me off too.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 PM
whitegt500

yea idk if 19xxx miles on a clutch really is wear and tear, most clutches give at least 60xxx + miles i would think, my 500 hasnt had any problems yet and thats with me playn with it sometimes too