General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hilly areas??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:25 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Originally Posted by maxshuty
Well I'm in an Automatic :S

And these aren't just small hills, they are VERY steep and long hills, thick of a black diamond at a ski resort and those are comparable to the size and how steep these hills are. Some of them seem steep enough to the point where if I floor it over them I'll actually get all four wheels off the ground heh.

I dont know about winter or what I'll do, but these are some good pointers... as far as right now though I'm mostly concerned about the strain on the engine because I'm constantly keeping the gas peddle pushed in pretty hard on some of these hills...

God lord, your stock V6 is more than fine, you won't hurt it one tiny little bit. Do you have any idea what kind of stress testing a company does to a car like yours. If these ubber hills were killing cars you would know about it.

Last edited by JD1969; 08-28-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:03 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Did my post get deleted?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

Throw some sandbags in back to help and you should be fine imo, also might want to use the gears when going downhill, riding the breaks will lead to bad things happening.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:34 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I live in the mountains and we get plenty of snow here and have nothing but hills. First off all, at LEAST get some good all season tires with a decent snow and ice rating, studless ice n snow tires are the best for winter ice/snow driving. Second, make sure you accelerate slowly and evenly, you'll have to get a feel for the car on snow/ice. Make sure you get your speed UP as you approach the hills, the faster the better(without losing control). And you'll want to either try to hold that speed, or VERY SLOWLY decelerate as you go up the hill, that way you'll keep traction. After some practice you'll get it to where when you crest the hill you should only be going about 10-15mph, then you gear down into 1st or 2nd at the top, and start down the other side VERY SLOWLY, and LIGHTLY ride the brakes(they are NOT going to fade out at 15mph when it's 10* outside). You want to keep your speed no more than about 20-25 going down the hill in low gear(steeper hills maybe no more than 15), ride the brakes LIGHTLY to get your speed down to 15 or so(decel VERY slowly) then let out and as the car accelerates back up to 20-25 lightly get back on the brakes. The biggest thing for maintaining control is controlling speed. It takes patience and concentration, and expect it to take 5-10x longer to get anywhere.

And make sure you're only going about 5-10mph when you take turns.

In the years I've lived up here and drove my 67 in the snow, I've only ever gotten stuck once, just this last winter. But we got nailed so hard with a massive sudden snow storm that most of the fire engines, some snow plows and nearly every 4wd vehicle was unable to get over the big hill we have here(affectionately referred to as domino hill since all the cars crash together like dominoes).
Old 08-28-2009, 08:55 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
First off all, at LEAST get some good all season tires with a decent snow and ice rating, studless ice n snow tires are the best for winter ice/snow driving.

This is probably the best thing you can do. I bought a pretty good set of winter tires with great tread and im not really concerned about getting stuck in the Chicago snow!!!

I will say though... We had a couple nasty nights of nothing but ice everywhere... and its not worth going anywhere if that happens. Even the best snow tires and 200lbs of sand wont help you get traction on ice!