General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Short drop glass question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Dr Bonz

Default Short drop glass question

Sorry if this has been covered but a search failed to come up with anything.

My son has a 2005 Coup. On the driver's side, the short drop glass feature isn't working properly. The window will not drop down at all when the driver's door is opened and therefore when you close the door, the window will not seal properly.

We tried the recalibration technique mentioned in the owner's manual (the one where you open the window all the way with the door closed, hold the button down for 2 seconds then let the button go and immediately hold the "up" button until the window fully closes and hold for 2 more seconds) but it didn't help and the problem persists.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Dr Bonz

Well, I found this on another forum:

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2007 Mustang vehicles may exhibit issues with the functional power window features including one touch up, short drop, and bounce back.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition if the root cause is incorrect or no window initialization of the Smart Window Motor.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Perform a de-initialization procedure of the smart motor / side window glass, followed by re-initialization procedure.

NOTE: WINDOW RE-INITIALIZATION MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOORS CLOSED.

NOTE: ON CONVERTIBLES, WINDOWS COULD BOUNCE BACK IF THE SIDE GLASS IS OUT OF ADJUSTMENT. REFER TO THE WORKSHOP MANUAL (WSM), SECTION 501-11.

NOTE: CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT THE DOOR SEAL OR MIRROR SEAL IS NOT ROLLED OVER OR BINDING. ALSO, THAT THERE IS NO OBSTRUCTION IN GLASS SEALING AREA AND THE GLASS FIT AND/OR REGULATOR MECHANICAL FASTENING IS NOT LOOSE.

DE-INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

De-initialization (un-learning) of the smart window motor clears the memory of the module and shuts off the One-Touch UP, Bounce Back and Short Drop functions.
The smart window motors can be de-initialized in two (2) different ways:
Disconnect the battery cable from the battery WHILE THE WINDOW IS MOVING.
Remove the window motor fuse from the Power Distribution Box WHILE THE WINDOW IS MOVING.
After performing one of the above procedures, the smart motor must be re-initialized, see Initialization Procedure.
INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

INITIALIZATION MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOOR CLOSED! (For convertibles, top and the quarter glass must be in the up / closed position.)
From the window switch, perform the following steps without stopping:
Operate the window UP and stall for 2 seconds. (Hold The Switch)
Operate the window DOWN and stall for 2 seconds. (Hold The Switch)
The smart window motor will be initialized and one-touch-UP and Short Drop will be operational.
Cycle the window glass an additional five (5) times to set the window "Soft Stop" for the down position.
TIP - VOLTAGE RANGE OF OPERATION: 9-16 VOLTS (AT THE MOTOR)

The smart motor will ONLY function in the 9-16 volt range; if the voltage at the smart motor drops below 9 volts, the window may not function properly or prematurely stop moving
If the voltage drops below 9 volts while the motor is moving, the motor will become de-initialized (one-touch UP and Short Drop will be inoperable)
If the motor becomes de-initialized due to low voltage, see initialization procedure. for instructions

I tried it and no deal.

I then discovered that not only doesn't the window work correctly, but the overhead light doesn't go on when the door is opened and the radio/inside power doesn't go off when you open the drivers side door. Everything works fine on the passenger side.

So it apparently isn't a window motor issue at all but it seems like a door switch problem. When the door is opened, the car simply doesn't recognize it.

So now it looks like a trip to the dealer to get the door switch looked at.

Last edited by Dr Bonz; 09-03-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Dr Bonz

Well, we took the car to the dealer and they are saying that we need a new window motor!

I really didn't understand this as the motor seems to work fine! When I reiterated that it seems to be more of an electrical issue with the door switch (since the car didn't seem to be recognizing that the door was being opened.. overhead light not going on when door opened, power to radio not going off when door opened etc,) they told me that this car has a "Smart Motor" whatever that means, and that this is why the above things are happening.

Can someone tell me if this makes sense?

Thanks.

P.S. The service manager also said he recommended a new battery, a transmission flush, and and some other kind of "flush" that I can't remember. Total cost of ALL of this (and the new motor) FIVE HUNDRED TWENTY FIVE BUCKS!

I told him no way. The new motor and labor are going to be about $240.

These guys never cease to amaze me!