General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Dyno doesnt seem quite right? please read.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:26 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Default Dyno doesnt seem quite right? please read.

Hey everyone, I am not sure if this is in the right place so I apoligize if it isnt. I am looking at getting my car on a dyno just to see what type of numbers its putting down. It only has a bbk cold air and borla stingers on it so Im not expecting a whole lot but am curious to see what it is doing. Looking at the website for the shop I am considering they did a vortech supercharger on an 05 boss mustang with shaker system. Im not sure if anything else has been done but the dyno numbers seem REALLY low for what I thought it should be putting out. Could it just have a really conservative tune or could their dyno be producing low numbers (that seems bad) Basically I am just wondering if it is worth the $125 for 3 runs if they dyno low. I dont want to pay alot to be disapointed. Also, Im not even sure if they would be able to do anything as far as tuning goes seeing how lightly my gt is modified. Im looking for any input from anyone on the dyno numbers the 05 boss made and if its worth it for me to put it on the dyno. Im posting the sheet for the 05 boss. Anyone else think these numbers are low? Thanks
Reaper

Old 09-19-2009, 03:24 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Theres no such thing as a 05 Boss Mustang. Do you mean a GT Mustang?
No you don't need a dyno tune with your mods. Dyno tunes are usually great for more modded cars; such as heads, cams, headers, supercharger, turbocharger, or nitrous.
And yes, those numbers are low for a supercharged Mustang, he's probably on a "Conservative tune" with lower boost.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:40 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangcat
Theres no such thing as a 05 Boss Mustang. Do you mean a GT Mustang?
No you don't need a dyno tune with your mods. Dyno tunes are usually great for more modded cars; such as heads, cams, headers, supercharger, turbocharger, or nitrous.
And yes, those numbers are low for a supercharged Mustang, he's probably on a "Conservative tune" with lower boost.
Ya im pretty sure its a gt but the shop has it listed as a boss mustang. Im guessing its an appearance pkg? Anyways, would there be any benefit to me if I had they do any tuning? I mean, would I be able to gain anything from having them tune it or would a handheld tuner do more for me at this point?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:19 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

dyno tuning is the last thing u should think about right now. a handheld tuner with a 93 octane tune will be fine, granted its only worth a couple horsepower. but make sure you buy a tuner that your local shops use in the event you get some real mods done and NEED a dyno tune, they can save it to your HHtuner. if you have an automatic your biggest benefit to getting a handheld will be setting your shift firmness.

125$/3runs is just to get horsepower numbers thats not even tuning cost (which are not important and are never spot on accurate). tuning runs usually around 500 an hour.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:07 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
dyno tuning is the last thing u should think about right now. a handheld tuner with a 93 octane tune will be fine, granted its only worth a couple horsepower. but make sure you buy a tuner that your local shops use in the event you get some real mods done and NEED a dyno tune, they can save it to your HHtuner. if you have an automatic your biggest benefit to getting a handheld will be setting your shift firmness.

125$/3runs is just to get horsepower numbers thats not even tuning cost (which are not important and are never spot on accurate). tuning runs usually around 500 an hour.
thx for the info. Unfortunately I am 300 miles from home right now which is why I am considering doing it. There isnt but 1 dyno in all of spokane (at least that ive found) which really blows *****. Anyways, there is 1 more shop I will check out on monday and see how much that costs to just get numbers, I know that they arent as important I am just curious to see where its at more than anything. Most likely I will just put that money towards getting a HH tuner. I am either going diablosport predator or might save up for the SCT livewire. Not 100% sure yet.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:14 PM
mustangcat

Ask if you can get 1 pull for baseline numbers if you want.
That way if you plan on modding your car further down the road, you can see how much power you gain from the mods. But other than that, it's not worth it to tune/get 3 pulls.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:31 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

If I was to get a nitrous kit I would need a dyno tune correct? Also, the zex wet kit comes with the 75,100,125 shot nozzles. I think I remember someone saying the 125 shot is probably too much for a stock 4.6 but would the 100 shot be ok for normal use? Also, I know the bottles hold 10lbs but how fast does that go and how much is it to refill?
Old 09-19-2009, 09:21 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Don't put too much stock in dyno tuning either. They're needed for modded cars because the base fuel/spark maps are too far off to work correctly. Keep in mind though that even fuel injected cars often run differently in the real world(on the street and track) than they do on a dyno. The engine is loaded differently when the wheels are turning a roller than when the wheels are pushing a car down the road through the air. Unless you get tuned on a multi-million dollar dyno that can account for every last possible variable, it's not the be all and end all. It can get you close and provide a good baseline, but the best performance is always yielded when you track tune the car for best performance.

With minimal mods you're so close to factory that the factory tune works fine(though they're conservative) or a canned tune works well.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:31 PM
mustangcat

Originally Posted by 03_GT_Reaper
If I was to get a nitrous kit I would need a dyno tune correct? Also, the zex wet kit comes with the 75,100,125 shot nozzles. I think I remember someone saying the 125 shot is probably too much for a stock 4.6 but would the 100 shot be ok for normal use? Also, I know the bottles hold 10lbs but how fast does that go and how much is it to refill?
That's correct.
The rule of thumb with nitrous is you can "normally" spray for half of your cars horsepower naturally aspirated. So a 100 shot would be right up your alley. Not too conservative, not too aggressive.

The rate at which your bottle will empty depends on how much you race. If your going with nitrous, make sure you buy all the extra safety equipment as well. Window switch, WOT trigger, bottle warmer, etc.
Refills vary a lot from shop to shop...But from I've heard, it's never terribly expensive.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:01 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangcat
That's correct.
The rule of thumb with nitrous is you can "normally" spray for half of your cars horsepower naturally aspirated. So a 100 shot would be right up your alley. Not too conservative, not too aggressive.

The rate at which your bottle will empty depends on how much you race. If your going with nitrous, make sure you buy all the extra safety equipment as well. Window switch, WOT trigger, bottle warmer, etc.
Refills vary a lot from shop to shop...But from I've heard, it's never terribly expensive.
Thanks! I am thinking right now I might go the nitrous route because there is a brand new zex wet kit on cl in seattle for $350. I might be able to get it for less. Eventually I want to get a s/c but right now i need to finish school so nos might be the best thing for me to add a little kick to my ride. How much do all the "accesories" usually run? Ebay might have some good deals, I will have to check.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyno doesnt seem quite right? please read.