General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Purchasing a Torque Wrench: Which brand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTPony
Ditto: only seen pictures of it.

I'm wondering though -- isn't using certain types of 'add-ons' to a torque wrench a prescription to invalidate the reading?

I had thought that straight line extensions were OK to retain a correct torque reading.

But when adding -- for example -- a universal joint, something doesn't add up to a correct reading, and the torque spec. on your wrench becomes a moot point and isn't valid.

Yet CDI/Snap-On must have done something to account for the Flex-Head factor, as it seems to swivel a bit -- from looking at the pictures.

So are you saying that where you can't reach inside your engine with your torque wrench, you just use the good old fashioned hand tightened methodology?
I honestly haven't had to use it in my engine bay yet, but it definitely seems too big for a lot of spots unless I am using it on top of the motor. For example, I put on headers the other day. I could barely fit a 3/8's wrench between all the stuff so I could tighten up the header bolts. No way a torque wrench was going in there, even with extensions. Also ,you are correct, you should only be using straight extensions, but I think you would be ok if you used a universal joint, just keep it to small angles.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:38 AM
capri man
1st Gear Member

i got a $20 one from harbor freight and have had no problems. i checked it against a $200 one and it was right with it.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:07 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by capri man
i got a $20 one from harbor freight and have had no problems. i checked it against a $200 one and it was right with it.

I've never seen a Harbor Freight Torque Wrench (though I know of them).

What's the locking ring like?

I'm interested in one that's better than the Craftsman MicroTork I own: it's plastic, and spins all the way around (I have to manually stop it to find where the "lock" and "unlock" position are). Must be broken, though I've HARDLY used it in the 7 years of ownership.

CDI, Armstrong, Snap On (wishful thinking) all seem have sturdy, metal locking rings.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:21 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I'll let you know my CDI seems pretty well used (knowing my grandfather it is well used) and it still works great.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:31 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

I'm wondering though -- isn't using certain types of 'add-ons' to a torque wrench a prescription to invalidate the reading?

I had thought that straight line extensions (perpendicular) were OK to retain a correct torque reading.

But when adding -- for example -- a universal joint, something doesn't add up to a correct reading, and the torque spec. on your wrench becomes a moot point and isn't valid.
Not intending to quote myself above, but I was poking around a CDI website (actually cditorquecanada.com) and found some useful information about extensions and torque wrenches:

Is the torque wrench accuracy affected if I use an extension?

Answer: It depends on what type of extension you are using. If you are using an extension that is vertical to the drive, it has no affect on the accuracy. If you are using an extension that is horizontal to the drive, such as a crowfoot, making the effective length longer, then you need to use the Adapter Torque Formula found under the Torque Facts page.

- - - - - - -

Then, if you are interested, the Adapter Torque Formula page is found here:

http://www.cditorquecanada.com/torque_adapters.html

- - - - - - -

In essence, vertical line extensions are OK to use. But if any straight line (horizontal) extension is used, then refer to the above page for the formula to figure out the correct torque adaptation. I'm still unsure about using angled extensions, though. That would seem to complicate matters beyond the scope of the above page.

Last edited by 7up; 10-05-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Yes an angle will complicate your measurements some, but only because you don't really know what angle you are at. I try to just use my torque wrench when I can hit something straight on, but as I think I said earlier, I couldn't even fit a 1/4" drive ratchet in to tigten up my headers, so some stuff just has to be guessed at occasionally.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:57 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
Yes an angle will complicate your measurements some, but only because you don't really know what angle you are at. I try to just use my torque wrench when I can hit something straight on, but as I think I said earlier, I couldn't even fit a 1/4" drive ratchet in to tigten up my headers, so some stuff just has to be guessed at occasionally.

Interesting in that, as I was reading your post, at the bottom of the page there was a "content relevant" ad for Torque Wrenches designed to fit into tight spaces:

SMA & SMC Torque Wrenches
Specially Designed for Tight Areas In-Stock - Same Day Shipping

But yeah, angles will have you guessing -- tight spaces notwithstanding!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Joe1967
2nd Gear Member

here's what you do...

dail 1888 HD HUSKY
choose option for husky mechanics tools, you will be transferred to Stanley tools, explain how your husky tq wrench part number 39104 has broke while in use and they will send you a new one to your doorstep free of charge.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Interesting in that, as I was reading your post, at the bottom of the page there was a "content relevant" ad for Torque Wrenches designed to fit into tight spaces:

SMA & SMC Torque Wrenches
Specially Designed for Tight Areas In-Stock - Same Day Shipping

But yeah, angles will have you guessing -- tight spaces notwithstanding!

Nice I didn't know they made something like that, I'll have to consider picking one of those up.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
Nice I didn't know they made something like that, I'll have to consider picking one of those up.

I just picked up that ad again, and noticed I failed to post the link which was associated with it in my original reply.

I'm sure there are many suppliers, but here's the one with the ad:

www.techtoolsupply.com

Actually, try this link:

http://tinyurl.com/yd57jq9

which brings up the wrenches directly on their site. They seem to be very small in regards to their torque range, unfortunately.

Last edited by 7up; 10-05-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added link

Quick Reply: Purchasing a Torque Wrench: Which brand?