General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2006 Mustang Startup Stumbling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 PM
sandyeggo_mustang

Default 2006 Mustang Startup Stumbling Issue

Hello All,

Mr Noob here. My name is Jason and I live in San Diego. I enjoy romantic walks on the beach and my favorite color is red....haha.

I have an issue with my GF's 2006 Mustang with a V6 4.0 Liter Auto trans with around 40k miles. To back up a few months, it had to have the TPS (throttle position sensor) replaced as it was causing problems. For awhile now when you first start the car it will start up, but then it immediately stumbles for several seconds and the rpms drop to around 400 or so then it continues to run without issue after the stumble is over. You think the car is going to stall but it barely hangs on. It just seems to happen at startup, and it doesn't matter if the car is warm or cold. I have tested the battery and voltages (both were ok, but I replaced the battery anyways as it was 4 years old). The fuel filter and air filter has been replaced as well. The startup issues were happening before both of them were replaced, and continued afterwards. After I could not figure out the issue, I took the car to the local dealership, and they could not pull any codes, or figure it out either (not sure how HARD that they tried to troubleshoot the issue).

I was just wondering if anybody has any ideas of where to start/look? I am wondering if something else was going south when the TPS was going bad or was replaced. Could this be an O2 sensor, MAF, Coil, or the flux capacitor?

I would appreciate any input regarding this issue.

Thank you,
Jason
Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 PM
sandyeggo_mustang

I now have noticed that it stumbles slightly (though no where close to stalling) when you sometimes put it in park.

Any folks have any ideas in regards to the startup stumbling issue?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:10 PM
sandyeggo_mustang

Nobody loves me.....

I'm gonna go play with my monkey since nobody will be friends with me...

Old 10-23-2009, 08:36 AM
musela
1st Gear Member

*petpet*

awww... It's ok. I'll talk to you. ^_^

Does the low idle happen every time you start it up? All the cars nowadays are all computer controlled so it's hard to pin point things like this. I had a similar problem with another vehicle I had and it turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor (CPS). You might want to still look at the TPS though. Just because it was replaced with a new TPS doesn't mean that it was good.

Sorry I couldn't be of too much help. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 PM
hotrodjohn71

Sandyeggo,
Did you ever get this solved and what did you find out?
I have the same exact problem.
Thanks.