General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First time visting, question about 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 02:45 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: First time visting, question about 5.0

Technically your correct about the fox platform, but typically everyone that refers to a fox body is talking 87-93. Good luck!!
Old 07-17-2005, 03:19 AM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

If you are thinking of getting this car let me tell you what to look for from my experience getting a car. If the guy put in MSD ignition, he probably has other mods on it. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE HIM WRITE DOWN SPECIFICALLY WHAT IS DONE TO THE CAR!!!! Get receipts if possible, and find out as much about the engine and previous work on it as possible. My car I got last June and I had to put in a new motor because the "rebuilt" engine that was "brand new" crapped out in Jan. Also, as I work on the car, I find more and more "little things" that were half-assed together to get her to run. This is very important. I would post the mods if possibele. About the painting of the car, blueangelfighter is right; you will pay more than 900 for the quality paint job. I always wanted a black car and bought a red stang. I planned on painting it and finally gave up on it(the red is working on me and I love it now,but anyways). To make it look right and not look like a Frankenstein car, keep it the factory color IMO. It sounds like a good deal if it is what you are saying. It has a lot of possibility but, DO NOT let that cloud your vision. Try as hard as you can to think rational. I dove into my stang and while I love it now, it did have some problems that the previous owner didn't tell me about. Just my 0.02
Old 07-17-2005, 03:34 PM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

Thanks alot for the info. I will definately find out what was done. The didn't have much experience with cars so the msd is about it I think. That's why he's selling it. About the paintjob, the car was originally red, but painted black. It was realliy crappy though. It looks like whoever painted it didn't bother sanding the original coat because the black coat isn't sticking. It flakes right off in some places. I'm not looking for a showstopping paint job. I'd like to just sand down the crappy coat, smooth it out and spray it with black again. I've never had a car painted so I"m trying to get an idea of what it will cost overall. I know Maaco is not a good place to go. I had a friend get his F-150 painted white and they didn't even tape it all off. And in the gas tank filler the painted gathered up and ran down the side. Horrible job IMO.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:35 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: punishercb

Will do. He said that it runs great, he also just put in MSD ignition. He didn't say anything about accidents but I will definately find out first. I'm just curious if you guys think it would be worth it. The interior is tan leather with very few cracks. Nothing some conditioner couldn't take care of. I'm thinking that even if the paint job cost about 800-900 dollars, the gt would still only cost about 3600 bucks! One more question, are these cars decently reliable? I've heard that the tranny's can't take more than 300 hp, which I'm not worrying about that yet.lol I mean, are there any things mustangs are known to break. What should I look for that could be wrong when I check it out?

Once again, I really don't know what to look for when I check it out so any, ANY help is appreciated.
"...the '87 - '95 5-liter models eqquipped with a manual came with the T5 five-speed, a unit that broke with regularity."
-Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords August 2005 issue "Tickling The T45" pg. 160

If you're eventually gonna get seriouse about modding out this five-o you're most likely gonna wanna get a new transmission because if you've been looking for used mustangs for a while now you've probably noticed people either beat the tar out of them or keep them in mint....rarely is there a middle ground. The T-5 can handle up to 300 lb/ft. of torque (again MM&FF pg. 141) and therefore is'nt too great for a high mod mustang (considering 2001+ model years come stock with 302 lb/ft of torque). If you like 5 speeds may i suggest the TKO or if you feel comfortable enough to go with a 6 speed go with the T-56 both obviously made by Tremec Transmissions. Even if you're not going to heavily modify it this guy sounds like he didn't take good care of this car...you may wanna just buy a brand new T-5 or the upgrade from the T-5, a T-45 which is still a 5 speed but with smaller gear ratios and more durable gears and an intergrated bellhousing serving as a front cover.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:52 PM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

Hmm, I'll definately look into it. If (and when) I get the mustang I'm going to focus on getting it painted first. Then I'll see where I go from there. Money will be tight after the paint job so I'm going to have to consider my options. Thanks for the info though. My friend has a 1997 mustang gt with some decent mods and his tranny is about to completely stop working.lol

When I go to check out the mustang tomorrow, is there anything that I should check for especially? Are there any known defects for mustangs that I should look for?
Old 07-17-2005, 04:13 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

LOOK FOR ROTTING EXHAUST!! I dont know how rough the winters get down there in Indiana, but theyre horrible on you're exhaust it you dont clean the salt off your pipes regularly. There are really no KNOWN defects with specifically the mustang that I known of but anytime you buy a used car TAKE NOTES! Check if he ever replaced the shocks and struts and brakes...trust me you can tell. Take a look at some easily check fluids like coolant and oil and power steering maybe even windsheild wiper fluid. If the coolant is brown then he hasn't had it looked at in a while. Ask him for any and all receipts for maintainance and get a carfax report on it too. You may wanna also go to kelly blue book and check to see what the resale value should be based on you're observations. If the value is lower don't celebrate yet either the guy doesn't know what the car is worth or he's hiding something. Unfortunately the "lemon law" in Indiana only covers late model cars bought from a genuine *manufacturer of car* dealership. This means if the car is a lemon the guy isn't obligated. Before you throw the carfax report at him (if it contains anything) ask him to disclose any accidents the car has been in. If the car has been in one and he denies it, walk away from the sale. good luck man and don't get taken for a ride. ALWAYS test drive it before buying it. If you wanna know a trick bring a penny with you and stick Lincoln's head in the tread on all tires...if it doesn't cover most of his head the tires aren't legal. When driving it do both of these: take her out on the highway and open her up and then take her to a parking lot and drive nice and slow seeing how she handles. After this make sure the guy has the title of the car...meaning it's actually his car and not the bank's (meaning he's making payments on it)...make you're decision after doing all of these.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:11 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Dude its 2700 jump on it if thats what you've wanted.As far as reliabilty its great as long as you dont beat it too bad.I wouldnt be as worried as all these guys seem,most stangs can take quite a beating and be alright get the VIN and run a carfax see if it was totaled or flooded or something extreme cause most of them have been hit.I no everyone says going to maaco is bad BUT they have the best spray guns and an awesome spray booth.The problem with them is they do horrible prep work and body work.They also do not tape stuff off good at all.Half the people that said dont go there have went to there body shop to have them paint it and alot of shops just do all the prep work tape it all off and send it to Maaco for a paint job.Think about it it cost the body shop like 200 bucks for the paint and all the chemicals,paper,tape ect,ect,ect and them it ties up there both for all the paint time and then drying time(which also cost alot to have that booth at 150 degrees for a while think of what that cost) so they send it to Maaco all tape and body work done and they spray it for like 200 bucks,How can they go wrong!Maacos guys acually spray real good thats all they do all day long,the guys there that paint only paint and the setup they have is awesome.So my point is if you can get it sanded and taped and get it to them thay will do a decent job for cheap.Just make sure the car is going to pass emmisions by checking to make sure the tires are good,Cats on the car,all the lights work, windshield wipers and sprayer,Hi and low beams and the horn and you should be all set.Take it for a ride see how it feels if it feels good go for it.But be far warned its an addiction and once you buy that first performance mod its over and you'll spend every last dollar on it.Good luck

I didnt mean emmisions I meant inspection but typed it wrong sorry
Old 07-17-2005, 11:19 PM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

Huh,I never knew that about Maaco. I could probably prep it myself maybe. Thanks for the tips too. I'll definately take it for a test drive in different areas and speeds. The guy selling the car doesn't seem like a shady guy. Obviously anybody can lie but he doesn't seem like one to cover something up. We'll see though. I'm going to carfax it to be on the safe side. About the emissions testing, Indiana doesn't do that, but your tips are still very helpful. I'll use them when I check it out tomorrow. I wouldn't have thought about checking the fluids. I'm really excited right now. I'm gonna be pissed if it's in bad shape but I'll still be ready to walk. I don't need a 2700 dollar nightmare.lol I'll let you all know what happens tomorrow!
Old 07-17-2005, 11:41 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

good luck[sm=gears.gif]
Old 07-29-2005, 09:32 PM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

FOREWARNING: THIS IS A BIG POST. BUT I REALLY NEED SOME INPUT SO IF ANYBODY WILL READ IT AND GIVE ME THEIR .02 CENTS I WOULD REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

OKAY!!!! I finally test drove the car. Actually, the owner's really cool and is letting me drive the car over the weekend and see if I want it or not. Now for the full story. The cars in bad shape.lol The engine coughs and sputters when I floor it and the brake is really really mushy. He said that he replaced a brake line and maybe didn't bleed them right. The interior is completely dirty and the driver's power seat doesn't work. As well as the passenger. The air conditioning doesn't work either. When I turn the switch on, it doesn't even blow. So either a fuse is blown or the blower motor is toast. I'm going to check tonight if the a/c compressor works.

I'm also going to put a fresh tank of gas in tonight and fuel injector cleaner. The car's been sitting in a storage cage the whole winter so I think it'll need a little cleaning. Now for the GOOD part.lol(hopefully) The car is leather interior, has the mach1 sound system, power windows and locks, it comes with new msd ignition module(not installed yet) zex nitrous system(not installed, in back trunk), and new emblems(the original's are missing). He was asking 2700 but, I've already gottem him down to 2000 and said he'd work with me more. He just wants to get rid of it. He's starting his whole business.....yadda yadda.lol What do you guys think I should do? Should I go ahead and buy it? Here's what I think I'll need so far:

1. New battery
2. COMPLETE tune up
3. Check a/c, maybe new blower motor.
4. Complete interior cleaning and steamvacuuming, leather seats need conditioning
5. New paint job(prob. most expensive part)
6. Bleed brakes
7. Fix door handle
8. Fix power window control
9. MAYBE a new clutch(doesn't seem like it but I'll see when the engine's at full power)
10. New tires within next 5000 miles.

So what do you all think? Is it worth it? I could prob. get him down to 1800-1900. By the way, it's got 98,000 miles on it. I realize that this will be a project car but would you guys jump on this chance if given to you?

Please somebody give me some input, I really want to take the deal but I might be getting in over my head.

Thanks

Quick Reply: First time visting, question about 5.0