General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First time visting, question about 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 09:57 PM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

Default First time visting, question about 5.0

Hello all, this is my first on mustangforums.com and I have to say, I am very impressed with this site. I have a question for you all. I just got an offer for a 1995 mustang gt. It has the 5.0 engine and a 5 speed manual. He picked it up 2 years ago from a bank because it was a repo. It has around 75000 miles on it but has really bad paint. It had been repainted black over red but wasn't done right, so now it will need a new paint job. Heres the thing, he is asking 2700 dollars. I know it's a pretty good deal, but would you guys jump on this deal too?

Thanks in advance, I really hope to get this car. I've always been a fan of american muscle and this might be my way in! I own a mitsubishi eclipse gst right now and I love it, but there's NO WAY you can beat a v8! I honestly don't know alot about these fox bodies but I always see at least 4-5 pages of just 5.0 performance parts in summit catalogs.

Feel free to toss in your .02 cents all!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-14-2005, 10:14 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

Default RE: First time visting, question about 5.0

well, that isnt a fox body lol, they refer to that as a sn95, same engine as a fox body though, fox bodys are 79-93. sounds like a good price, but paint sucks.. id take it for a drive and everything, check it over real good, was it smashed? check for signs of that.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:27 PM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

Will do. He said that it runs great, he also just put in MSD ignition. He didn't say anything about accidents but I will definately find out first. I'm just curious if you guys think it would be worth it. The interior is tan leather with very few cracks. Nothing some conditioner couldn't take care of. I'm thinking that even if the paint job cost about 800-900 dollars, the gt would still only cost about 3600 bucks! One more question, are these cars decently reliable? I've heard that the tranny's can't take more than 300 hp, which I'm not worrying about that yet.lol I mean, are there any things mustangs are known to break. What should I look for that could be wrong when I check it out?

Once again, I really don't know what to look for when I check it out so any, ANY help is appreciated.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:08 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. A good paint job will not even be close to $900. You will be looking at 2 grand easy for a good professional one. And another thing is, ask yourself what your going to do with the car. Is it going to be used for 1/4 mile racing or is it going to be used for a toy car with just a few extra ponies under the hood for fun. Because if you want a full out racer your going to have to change alot of things. I'm not sure what the tranny's are rated for on that year but it's probally somewhere close to there. And the car should be reliable. Thats about all I have to say. Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:26 AM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

Thanks alot blueanglefightr. I don't plan on making it a 1/4 mile monster, only a daily driver with *****. About the paintjob, I'm not going to look for the best of the best. Just a coat that will look good and not flake off like it is now. So the mustang will be decently reliable? That's good to hear. I won't be driving it 80+ miles a day or anything, just to get around campus and maybe monthly trip home.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:40 AM
jowen
2nd Gear Member

welcome
Old 07-15-2005, 01:27 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: punishercb

Thanks alot blueanglefightr. I don't plan on making it a 1/4 mile monster, only a daily driver with *****. About the paintjob, I'm not going to look for the best of the best. Just a coat that will look good and not flake off like it is now. So the mustang will be decently reliable? That's good to hear. I won't be driving it 80+ miles a day or anything, just to get around campus and maybe monthly trip home.
The mustang will definetally work for that. Especially if you take care of it.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:19 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Welcome!

Hope you find a good deal on the car or whatever you're looking for.

I'm going to move this to general tech, because this forum is not for techy stuff. Best of luck!
Old 07-16-2005, 09:11 PM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

Ok, thanks. I really didn't mean it to be but it ended up like that.lol I guess the only thing I'm left wondering is whether I should get it or not. I know that mustangs aren't cheap but after I spend the money to have the car painted + the 2700 for the car will is be worth it?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:41 AM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dc_mann8

well, that isnt a fox body lol, they refer to that as a sn95, same engine as a fox body though, fox bodys are 79-93. sounds like a good price, but paint sucks.. id take it for a drive and everything, check it over real good, was it smashed? check for signs of that.
By the way, thanks for correcting me. I thought all mustangs up to 04 were fox bodies. By the way, I know everybody asks this question, but what will a 5.0 mustang w/ 5spd run at the quarter after a catback, intake and short throw shifter? That's all I really plan on doing since it'll be a daily driver. I might get gears but that would be way down the road.

Thanks all

Quick Reply: First time visting, question about 5.0