General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Much to learn:Shaker whats it do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 AM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AirBrontosaurus
No, because the airmass intake is done through the shaker part of the hood, which is then funneled directly into the intake.

A cold air intake goes from the intake and down into the wheel well (to draw in cold air, hence the name). A shaker hood draws air in from above the hood, which is already at ambient temperature (and thus as "cold" as it's going to get).

Basically, even if you could use a CAI kit and a shaker hood together (which you can't), you wouldn't want to be cause a shaker intake does everything a CAI can do, but better.
I did this

until I decided I wanted the look and performance, then did this
Old 10-31-2009, 01:30 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

I guess I should have been more specific.

When I said "you couldn't do it," what I really meant was "you couldn't do it and have them both be functional."

I mean, if someone asked me if they could use a carburetor on their EFI mustang, I would say that you couldn't do it because their purposes are in direct conflict. HOWEVER, that isn't 100% correct because you could, in theory, just spot-weld a carb to your engine block and then technically you would have both at the same time. However, when someone was asking if they could use a carb and EFI at the same time, I think we could be pretty sure that's not what they meant.

Given the OP's question, I figured he meant to ask if there would be any reason to have both a shaker and a CAI kit. I was trying to show him that other than looks, there is no real benefit to having both at the same time.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:33 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Toy4Bob, I'm not completely sure how the airflow works on a Mach shaker hood assembly, but in your first photo, isn't that aluminum tube extention into the side airbox allowing UNFILTERED AIR into the engine?? ouch
Old 10-31-2009, 05:01 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AirBrontosaurus
I guess I should have been more specific.

When I said "you couldn't do it," what I really meant was "you couldn't do it and have them both be functional."

I mean, if someone asked me if they could use a carburetor on their EFI mustang, I would say that you couldn't do it because their purposes are in direct conflict. HOWEVER, that isn't 100% correct because you could, in theory, just spot-weld a carb to your engine block and then technically you would have both at the same time. However, when someone was asking if they could use a carb and EFI at the same time, I think we could be pretty sure that's not what they meant.

Given the OP's question, I figured he meant to ask if there would be any reason to have both a shaker and a CAI kit. I was trying to show him that other than looks, there is no real benefit to having both at the same time.

A carburetor can actually be used as a throttle body if it modified correctly. i understood what you meant though. Both times.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:25 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hiboostwoody
A carburetor can actually be used as a throttle body if it modified correctly. i understood what you meant though. Both times.
Haha, good stuff. I figured you did.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:02 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreyStang
Toy4Bob, I'm not completely sure how the airflow works on a Mach shaker hood assembly, but in your first photo, isn't that aluminum tube extention into the side airbox allowing UNFILTERED AIR into the engine?? ouch
Nope. The 'shaker' is running air into that tube... which is feeding the filter, leading into the motor. It's a lot of twists and turns (aka flow restrictions) to make it happen.

In set ups like these, bolt on sharker/scoops are a joke if you are talking 'performance'.
And for the record, I agree with Fobra on this (yeah, I know, I said it). You aren't pushing air in like one might think.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:34 AM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! Nice screen name btw lol.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Nope. The 'shaker' is running air into that tube... which is feeding the filter, leading into the motor. It's a lot of twists and turns (aka flow restrictions) to make it happen.

In set ups like these, bolt on sharker/scoops are a joke if you are talking 'performance'.
And for the record, I agree with Fobra on this (yeah, I know, I said it). You aren't pushing air in like one might think.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Dreamer1
2nd Gear Member

Wink

Originally Posted by dreamer1uk
Welcome to the forums! Nice screen name btw lol.
LOL thats funny, should make mine "Dreamer1USA"

Late!