General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So many mufflers, so little $$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:31 PM
falconsprint

Default So many mufflers, so little $$$$$

I'm an old gearhead from the 60's. I have a prostreet 1963 1/2 Falcon Sprint.
302, 2x4 tunnel ram, solid lifter cam + a lot of others.
My son recently purchased a 2005 Mustang GT convertible w/ a 4.6L engine.
He wants to save his $$ so one day he can get a Edlebrock Supercharger. In the mean time I would like him to put on good sounding mufflers. (just axle backs for now). Can anyone recommend a nice sounding set, something with a little rumble but not obnoxious like some of the little Japanese cars. My car has a set of old Thrush mufflers that sounds awesome. Nice idle and fairly noticeable under WOT.
Also recommend a good CAI.

Thanks
falconsprint
Old 11-05-2009, 06:28 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

I was gonna get a cat-back for my '02 GT but the muffler shop told me a smarter route is to just swap out the factory mufflers for something like a pair of Cherry Bombs. The factory pipes are THICK good pipes, keep them!

I haven't done the swap yet but that's my plan. It's probably cheaper that a whole cat back system too
Old 11-06-2009, 11:20 AM
falconsprint

Thanks for your input.
I'll pass the info to my son.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:35 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreyStang
I was gonna get a cat-back for my '02 GT but the muffler shop told me a smarter route is to just swap out the factory mufflers for something like a pair of Cherry Bombs. The factory pipes are THICK good pipes, keep them!

I haven't done the swap yet but that's my plan. It's probably cheaper that a whole cat back system too
cherry bombs? spank yourself plz. thats just a cheap way to get your car loud without caring about keeping the mustang sound. thats a horrible...HORRIBLE idea.

stock pipes are 2.25", aftermarket catbacks all use 2.5" mandrel bent tubing. helps the sound out a little and a couple ponies (nothing major). yes the cheap option is just to weld in some new mufflers but with an 05 you can get the axle backs for pretty cheap since their exhaust setup is different and you dont have to buy a 4 foot long catback....its basically just some mufflers with tips and a ball joint on it. i would look around classifieds and find a cheap axle back and an o/r or catted midpipe. should be able to pick up a NICE sounding exhuast for a few hundred bucks.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:18 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

.. I'm not talking about their '60s old skool glasspacks.. I mean current ones like their vortex muffler. I'll pit that against a Flowmaster anyday.

Sure a catback will increase pipe diameter from the "cat to the back" & improve performance a hair, but if you just wanna improve sound and are on a tight budget, I stick to my recommendation.

..you do have a point about the '05+ Stangs mufflers are further behind the car so maybe a full catback is cheaper than for my '02(?)

Last edited by GreyStang; 11-07-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:01 PM
TWDR

pypes violator axle back system $230 from americanmuscle.com. Just put them on my 2006 GT and they sound nice. Good deep, strong tone
Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Snitz
1st Gear Member

dont go with a cheap cheap exhause because it WILL drone a lot
axel back systems are somewhat cheap in the first place
go with something like magnaflow, or you could even do flowmaster (altho im not very fond of flowmaster)
if you would like to do what all the kids in the jap cars go swap just the muffler with a cherrybomb or swap it with a flowmaster 40 but those wont give you the right sound your son is probably looking for
Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I dont see why everyone is downing cherry bombs, I have the vortex cat back with lt's and catted X and it sounds great to me. Quiet under 2k with a nice rumble 2k+, granted right at 2k theres a small drone, but thats always fixed by up or down shifting, or staying off the gas. There where many times some ricer wanted to run me, but once I launched and they heard the exhaust under the engine load, they promptly let it go. Also the passenger compartment is quite, while letting everyone behind you hear the exhaust. I thought for a while it was too quiet until we were moving cars from dock to dock and I let my buddy move mine (he wanted to feel the power of a v8) while I followed in his civic. I was content after hearing what everyone else heard for so long.

The quality of they're car back is great. With my kit it was 2.5" mandrel bent pipe, stainless 3" welded on tips, and install was quick and simple. It also came with heat shields, all hardware needed for the install, and detailed instructions. After a year the pipes show no sign of wear, mufflers show no signs of wear (black powder coated), the tips need polished, and theres a little rust on the weld joining the tips to the pipe.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

About the CAI, I just put the K&N CAI in my '01. Have nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Silver_Pony
1st Gear Member

i just added a K&N CAI to my 06 and love it much quicker response also on the muffler deal im interested in somethin sounds "throaty" deep...not too loud in the cockpit any ideas I too have a v6