General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

05 Charging Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:39 AM
meloman15

Exclamation 05 Charging Issues??

Hey guys i'm new on the forum and i'm sure similar problems are scattered throughout the forum but i'm having a little trouble finding answers to this problem.
First of all let me say my knowledge of cars is limited to say the least haha. Well about a week ago I was driving my 05 v6 home and my check charging system light came on. My dash and all interior light would go on and off and occasionally cut out my stereo. I became worried but a couple of days ago I was driving home and the light came on and in the middle of the night my brights just complete stopped working and have yet to come back. The problem then escalated to my actual lights actual cutting out for about 30 seconds on rare occasion. I figured alright my alternator is going but my coworker said if my car starts with no issues then its probably not the problem. I decided to check my alternator's power by going to autozone. To say the worker there wasn't helpful would be a huge understatement.
I was wondering if my problem is my alternator or if it could be something else.
Thanks in advance for the help and ideas!
Old 11-29-2009, 10:18 AM
jdub_5.0MT

Default alternator ??

A good way to know if the altenator is working would be to start the vehicle and then to disconnect the battery. If the vehicle still runs you know the altenator is charging. If the car dies you either have a bad altenator or a bad wire connection somewhere between the alt. and the bat.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

I'd advise against disconnecting the battery on a running car.

Get a multimeter and check the voltage at the battery. With the car off, it should be around 12.6v. Running it should be higher like around 13 or 14.

If it's higher, it's charging.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:41 AM
RUDEDOG.357

Its probably the alternator. Ive had alternators that charge when you ck them out and then wont. brushes are probably worn out.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:16 PM
meloman15

Thanks guys I bought a multimeter and it sure looks like my alternator is the issue. Now the fun part. Where is the best place to get a new alternator and i'm planning on getting an in dash dvd in the next month. Should this effect what alternator I should look into? From what I hear replacing an alternator in an 05 v6 is quite simple. Is this correct?
Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Absolutely DO NOT disconnect the battery with your car running! You will likely cook the alternator if it's not already bad and it's very possible you will fry the PCM. If a new alternator doesn't solve the problem you may have a corroded connection to the Super Multiple Junction box. Unfortunately, you may need to take it to the dealer to have it fixed as the PCM will have to be reprogramed if the juction box is replaced.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:27 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Any auto parts store will have an OEM replacement alternator.

1.Disconnect the battery.
2.Rotate the front end accessory drive belt tensioner counterclockwise and position the front end accessory drive belt aside.
3.Disconnect the generator electrical connector.
4.Position the generator B+ protective boot aside, remove the nut and position the generator B+ terminal aside.
-To install, tighten to 8 Nm (71 lb-in) .
5.Remove the 2 nuts and position the generator shield aside.
-To install, tighten to 35 Nm (26 lb-ft) .
6.Remove the 2 generator stud nuts.
-To install, tighten to 48 Nm (35 lb-ft) .
7.Remove the bolt and the generator.
-To install, tighten to 48 Nm (35 lb-ft) .
8.To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Last edited by hiboostwoody; 11-29-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:32 PM
meloman15

Wow thanks that's beyond helpful. If I can't follow these simple instructions, I have some problems.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 AM
jdub_5.0MT

Originally Posted by hiboostwoody
Absolutely DO NOT disconnect the battery with your car running! You will likely cook the alternator if it's not already bad and it's very possible you will fry the PCM. If a new alternator doesn't solve the problem you may have a corroded connection to the Super Multiple Junction box. Unfortunately, you may need to take it to the dealer to have it fixed as the PCM will have to be reprogramed if the juction box is replaced.
Disconnecting the battery while the car is running would act the same as if the battery died in a running car. why would it cause any problems the only reason the battery is there is to run the starter. the charging system is what runs the car while it is running. Working in bodyshops my whole life and have run cars without batteries in them even DRIVEN cars without batteries in them. Have you any experience with cars frying electronics while doing this is it just possible or likely??
Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdub_5.0MT
Disconnecting the battery while the car is running would act the same as if the battery died in a running car. why would it cause any problems the only reason the battery is there is to run the starter. the charging system is what runs the car while it is running. Working in bodyshops my whole life and have run cars without batteries in them even DRIVEN cars without batteries in them. Have you any experience with cars frying electronics while doing this is it just possible or likely??
WRONG. The electrical system is supposed to run off the battery. The battery is charged by the alternator. The battery acts as a part of the regulating system (a shunt) for the alternator. Without it, you are forcing the alternator to overwork itself and since it has nothing to identify what voltage it is trying to maintain it causes the voltage regulator to basically become confused until it burns out. Before it does that it will spike the voltage sometimes as high as 18 volts or more. That much voltage going through the PCM will cook it. When you don't adequately charge a dead battery before you start a car, you are still overworking the alternator. You may be able to get away with it once in a while for a short time but with alternators and PCMs costing sometimes several hundred dollars is that a chance you really should take? Trust me on this, it's what I have been doing for a living for almost 20years.