General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

sound right

Old 07-21-2005, 02:50 AM
Kendawg

Default RE: sound right

First, i never made fun of you. I said if your mechanic suggested pulling out the thermostat and leaving it out... you need a new mechanic.

Personally, I believe that the thermostat was your problem, get a new thermostat from you're local parts store and put it in.

If you're mechanic does know what he's talking about and you do have a clogged radiator... get a friggin radiator and flush your system man. But if removing your thermostat has kept it running cool, I gaurantee you its a bad thermo, they are not that expensive. Leaving it out isn't good.

Also, check and make sure your fans are working properly. Taking a thermo out is basically letting coolant flow through your radiator all the times, an engine running too cool isn't good.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:53 AM
Scooterman
2nd Gear Member

well its funny b/c the thermostat is BRAND NEW got it like month and half ago... flushing the system? whats the procedure in doing that?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:54 AM
Scooterman
2nd Gear Member

hear me out tho.. b4 i took it out, the car was running almost overheating.. then it started steaming and coolant was leaking, then after i took it out. the temp went a little above midpoint temp and just stayed there and no leaks or steam.. which is y im asking u y thats possible.. i mean like i said.. im no mechanic
Old 07-21-2005, 02:55 AM
Scooterman
2nd Gear Member

even with thermo out, engine isnt running cool at all
Old 07-21-2005, 03:13 AM
Kendawg

Ok, mb your fan isn't working. Start yur car up sitting still and let it warm up to about half way on the temp gauge, yur fan in front of your radiator should kick in. If it doesn't then that's your problem... temp sensor or fan. If your fan is working properly, then its your radiator... replace it or have it cleaned, and get a thermostat back in that thing.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:19 AM
Scooterman
2nd Gear Member

haha well i just thought of sumthing, my car used to be a dragger.. and my fan is what we call "ni**er rigged".. it works fine, but it works all the time, right when u turn the car on the fan goes even when the car isnt heated up yet, its basicially wired weird .. so does that make it easier for u to understand the problem?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:57 AM
Kendawg

Radiator.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:33 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Leaving your thermostat out is perfectly fine.The only thing that might happen is it will not run at optimum tempurature For emmisions .By leaving it out you will cause no harm.What year stang is this and what motor?I'm sure youve said before but I forget
Old 07-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Scooterman
2nd Gear Member

1987 5.0 w/ saleen motor, unknown of year of motor, honestly ive taken the car out twice for a drive w/o thermo, and it ran smoothly.. so i dont get what the big deal is, no overheating, no leakin of coolant, no steam, no nothing
Old 07-21-2005, 12:59 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Its fine man dont sweat it.People get a little crazy on here with responces

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sound right