General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

1967 Mustang IGNITION question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 PM
valdez13

Question 1967 Mustang IGNITION question

SPECS: 1967 Ford Mustang 200 ci Straight six Automatic

Recently had my ignition fail. Quit starting and I smelled burnt components in the car.

Isolated the ignition and put a voltmeter across it. When the key turned, juice would go to the radio, indicators, wipers, etc, but not to the starter.

No outfit in town (Salem, Oregon) had the part, except Napa said their store out of town did.

$52 for the ignition tumbler and switch (had to drive all the way to Silverton to get it!).

When I bought the tumbler and switch, the tumbler didn't go into the switch very easily. It took my mechanic/friend/guru/mentor a good 20 minutes of playing around with the key position and what not to get the tumbler into the switch.

FINALLY -- CLICK! The tumbler went in and we installed it.

Now -- here is my present situation and quandary. My igntion no longer has three positions (Accessories, OFF, ON). It only has OFF and ON. When I turn the key over, the engine doesn't start unless I bring it back from full clockwise a bit, and there is "Sweet" spot that starts it up. Also, none of the electronics work unless I turn the key even farther back to the original position, then clockwise again, to "another sweet spot" that starts the radio, wipers, dash display etc.

What's the deal? When we inserted the tumbler, did it just not line up with the electronic terminals/switches inside? It seems there would be only ONE way it would go in????

Help!

V in Portland

Last edited by valdez13; 01-15-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:39 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

It would seem to me, that is not the right part. Since it was so hard to get in, and now you have lost functionality, I would try to remove it and return it to Napa. Your best bet for parts would probably be one of the Mustang specific houses, such as National Parts Depot, or maybe Mustangs Unlimited.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:00 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Definitely the wrong part. Napa and similar places don't really know what they are selling you. It's best to look online for a Mustang specific place, Ford specific, or Ignition specific place that will give you what you need. You may also consider upgrading this old key system.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
valdez13

Default Wrong Part

My only problem is that all the pickapart places around didn't have anything. I guess I can go to the places recommended to get a new ignition. It seems that a Ford ignition wouldn't be that fancy a part though.

My mechanic worked on a kids similar year car last year and experienced the same difficulty getting the tumbler into the switch, only he didn't have the weird problems I did afterwards.

The parts look exactly like the one I pulled out, too. So maybe it's just the way it's lining up???

Plus -- I don't know how kindly Napa will take to taking back a part that's been in play for a week....?
Old 01-16-2010, 07:49 AM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

This is a real problem with parts for our old cars. They are sourced now from China. Their manufacturing tolerances and methods are designed to build the part as cheaply as possible. For general parts such as brake pads and bulbs, napa usually works fine but for such an obscure part (I use the word obscure because the average person going into Napa is not looking for that part) your best bet is to order from a Mustang supplier.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 AM
octanejunkie

I had a similar experience with an ignition switch, the housing allowed the key to be removed in ALL positions - not very safe...

Looking at the casting I could see the problem immediately. When I called the supplier they almost had nothing to say about it other than "they all look like that" - yea, cheap import crap

I had to find another supplier that had a "better" quality aftermarket repro - both were obsolete parts suppliers too. Obviously some knockoffs are better than others and as always, buyer beware

Advice to original poster, buy the correct part online from a mustang-specific vendor or troll the for sale forums/ebay

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:33 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by octanejunkie
I had a similar experience with an ignition switch, the housing allowed the key to be removed in ALL positions - not very safe...

Looking at the casting I could see the problem immediately. When I called the supplier they almost had nothing to say about it other than "they all look like that" - yea, cheap import crap

I had to find another supplier that had a "better" quality aftermarket repro - both were obsolete parts suppliers too. Obviously some knockoffs are better than others and as always, buyer beware

Advice to original poster, buy the correct part online from a mustang-specific vendor or troll the for sale forums/ebay

Good luck!
A lot of the safety features that we take for granted today weren't always around. I remember a cousin of mine had a 66~ Chevy Caprice and you could start that thing without a key. Just turn the key solenoid with your fingers and drive away. Back then you could also start your cars in any gear and remove the key from the ignition with the car running. You had to be more careful with cars back then.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

^+1. They're making them more "idiot proof" as time goes on. It sickens me, things like cars that parallel park themselves, or otherwise have ways of intervening (like automatically applying the brakes when one is about to be involved in a rear end collision); rather than take measures to keep retards from operating a motor vehicle they just make it a little easier for said retards. Public transportation is around for a reason, and it's not just for people who cannot afford their own vehicle! Anyway, sorry, as I know my post has nothing to do with a 1967 ignition lock cylinder; the above post just got me thinking about this, that's all.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:26 PM
valdez13

Thanks to all who replied. Mustangs Unlimited and National Parts Depot are two great resources that I had not known about before. Can't wait to start ordering things to spruce up the old girl -- new leather driver's seat cover, antenna, bumper, etc ...

I am ordering a new ignition electrical switch today, for less than I paid at Napa. Still don't think I'll be able to get my money back from Napa, but I learned my lesson. Have gone their many times in the past for basic things, like y'all mentioned -- brakes, sparkplugs,etc. Even bought a carburetor at a non-Mustang shop. But not anymore! The key thing is to try and know what you are going to be working on ahead of time, so you can order it -- my problem is the old girls is constantly surprising me -- and leaving me close to high and dry!

Thanks again!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:16 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

That's the problem with old cars and old houses. They are projects that never end. Even though I like old cars, I myself have gotten tired of some projects and moved on. Unfortunately in life there are too many things taking up our time and money.

Quick Reply: 1967 Mustang IGNITION question