General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 05:57 AM
jhong1784

Default need help

i have a 66 stang 289. i am having starter issues. i have changed the ignition switch the starter and the starter relay. the problem is when i start the car if i hold the key in the on postition it will run. when i let go of the key to let the car keep running the car dies. i don't know what else to do. would it be the coil? please help
Old 07-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: need help

Does the key move from the "run"position on it's own or does it stay put?Do the accessories stay on when the engine shuts down?If it doesn't move the problem is more than likely in the wiring.If it happens every time then it's probably a missed connection.If it's intermittent then it could be a bad ground or a bad connection.It might be easier to run new wires than to chase invisible electrical gremlins out of the old ones.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:10 AM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Sounds to me like you have a bad ignition so when you let go the constant power to the coil is lost so it stalls.Try jumping a power wire to the coil and then starting it and see if it stays running
Old 07-24-2005, 12:08 AM
jhong1784

i will try but i replaced the ignition switch so i don't know what to do. do you think it can be the voltage regulator?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:06 AM
Ford68pony

I would have to say something in the ignition also. Basically once the key is turned the engine will only stop if the key was turned to the off position. I would start with the wiring in the ignition. You may have something crossed or not hooked up. Does the power to the radio come on when the key is in the on position (before the start position)? I would have to take a look at my car to get an idea about voltages and where they are heading. Won't be able to get to that until next weekend, if I remember I'll do some checking and maybe have a better idea for you if you haven't found the problem yet.