General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just Bought a GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:35 PM
ninz49z

Default Just Bought a GT

Hello Last night I bought a 2000 Mustang GT its lowered the guy dident know how much but it looks like about 2'' it looks great but it rides kinda crappy and it scraps the exhaust pulling in my driveway how hard would it be to put this thing back up to orginal height, and what all would I need Springs, Shocks Etc. any help would be nice. Also the clutch is also kinda worn it doesnt like to go in reverse with the clutch all the way down it is obviously worn how hard are these to change im pretty good mechanicaly and have replaced clutchs before just never in a mustang. Thanks Dustin.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:15 PM
CopNaStang
1st Gear Member

I will have a set of stockers from my 2004 GT, with only 20K miles on them. I am only switching them out to put on brand new OEM Bullitt springs. If you want a nice ride, put in the stock springs, and upgrade the shocks to Tokicos. They will be much better than stock. Shocks such as Bilsteins are great but will give you a much more rough ride, IMO. They use Tokicos on Mach 1's and Bullitts.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:30 AM
ninz49z

How much ya want for em
Old 01-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ninz49z
it doesnt like to go in reverse with the clutch all the way down
That's normal. You gotta learn to live with that. Every time I go to reverse i go 5th then reverse. That works most of the time but sometimes that doesnt even work. Another good way to do it is leave it in neutral and let off the clutch then get back on it and try again.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:45 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Robobble
That's normal. You gotta learn to live with that. Every time I go to reverse i go 5th then reverse. That works most of the time but sometimes that doesnt even work. Another good way to do it is leave it in neutral and let off the clutch then get back on it and try again.
Sorry, but that's NOT normal. Sounds to me like you have a stretched clutch cable or worn quadrant. My advice to both of you is to get it fixed before you have to replace synchros in the transmission from driving the car that way.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

Hm, I've heard more than once someone saying that it's normal and that reverse is finicky because it isn't synchronized. I could be wrong but I'm just going on what I've heard. Can someone maybe back that up?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:07 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I don't have a copy of one, but I read over in one of the modular forums here recently that the Owner's Manual for our cars, regardless of T-45 (what OP most likely has) or TR-3650 trans., says to (with the clutch in the whole time) run through two gears (not sure that it matters which ones) prior to attempting to shift into Reverse.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:54 AM
ShakenRoush05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ninz49z
Hello Last night I bought a 2000 Mustang GT its lowered the guy dident know how much but it looks like about 2'' it looks great but it rides kinda crappy and it scraps the exhaust pulling in my driveway how hard would it be to put this thing back up to orginal height, and what all would I need Springs, Shocks Etc. any help would be nice. Also the clutch is also kinda worn it doesnt like to go in reverse with the clutch all the way down it is obviously worn how hard are these to change im pretty good mechanicaly and have replaced clutchs before just never in a mustang. Thanks Dustin.
Dustin,

Suggestion- Try pulling into you driveway on an angle as this may help with the scraping. You said the ride was crappy, please explain. Since your planning on making upgrades you must be specific in what you would define as the ideal combination of handling and comfort. Raising the car will affect both. If you have replaced clutches before go to you tube and watch the video, then change the clutch. Having difficulty shifting into reverse, may be more than a clutch. How many miles are on the car? You may just want to bring your trans into a qualified shop as a precaution to check out your internals. I don't think you want to change the clutch re-install the trans and find out the reverse problem remains. After all, if you plan on keeping the car, it is money well spent.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

I really think you should research what I said a little bit. I could be wrong but it beats paying the tranny shop for no reason.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
I don't have a copy of one, but I read over in one of the modular forums here recently that the Owner's Manual for our cars, regardless of T-45 (what OP most likely has) or TR-3650 trans., says to (with the clutch in the whole time) run through two gears (not sure that it matters which ones) prior to attempting to shift into Reverse.
+1000000 TARDS!!!! READ YOUR MANUAL... you have to go into TWO forward gears, then reverse to release the reverse lock. IF YOU FORCE IT YOU WILL BREAK IT. Also, there is NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR SHIFTER if you miss 3rd its because you suck.

Sorry to be harsh, but DAYUM FOLKS!