General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

projector headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 02:46 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Default RE: projector headlights

ORIGINAL: The Great Cornholio

ORIGINAL: 99saleen351r

The new kit I just got doesnt have to have a power and ground run to them like all the others I bought which makes the install way nicer it just plugs in the old harness and youre all set.Its a very nice set up.These lights draw 100 percent less power than a stock halogen bulb which is nice to if you have a stereo cause seeing the bulbs are gas now not a filament they dont dim at all when the bass hits
I would rather not power the HID ballasts through my stock wiring. The initial startup draws up to 50W, which the stock wiring harness was not designed for, and the ballasts can discharge back through your wiring and arc across the headlight switch contacts, eroding them over time. Therefore I prefer the setups that use a separate power wire to the ballasts directly from the battery and only uses the stock wiring to open/close a relay. More clutter I know, but safer. For extra insurance I soldered a diode into the kit connector where it plugs into the stock harness.

I been running HIDs in all my cars for over 5 years,I have them in both my F550s,Both my stangs and my girls car evn my snowmobile and have never had any problems with the wiring.I put HIDs in my friends beemer with projecters and used H4 bulbs I just had to make a bracket to hold the bulbs in.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:50 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NeoTokyo

Personally, I dont care what you feel about them as you dont care what I feel about them.
I have had them for almost a year now and they work great, look awesome and havnt faded or even so much as gotten a scratch on them yet, the only problem I have with them is the bulbs, and that can be fixed.

The whole moisture thing was condensation, ANY composite headlight can get condensation in it. Mine happened to get it worse because there was a small opening where the front plastic met the backing, but I solved that with some sylicone.
Why not do what I am doing and just get them and then make them HID's? I already have my ballists and wiring, just gotta find the right bulbs.

I think these headlights make the car stand out and make it have more personality, so many people are running around with the same **** on their cars and its just nice to have something different ya know?

-Eric-

Thats what makes me say they suck no new light should have to have silicone put on them,Right?Ive never had a water in my cobra headlights or any stock lights for that matter
Old 07-30-2005, 06:35 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 99saleen351r I been running HIDs in all my cars for over 5 years,I have them in both my F550s,Both my stangs and my girls car evn my snowmobile and have never had any problems with the wiring.I put HIDs in my friends beemer with projecters and used H4 bulbs I just had to make a bracket to hold the bulbs in.
True because they are powered directly from the battery aren't they?
Old 07-30-2005, 08:09 PM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering what exactly a projector headlight is, from what you are saying I'm guessing the type of bulb (halogen, xeon) has nothing to do with it?

~orion6g
Old 07-31-2005, 01:11 AM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

Correct, they are just the fixture.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:22 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I still love my headlights, for sure a great peice to my car, it makes it looks CLEAN and thats all I care about, I really didnt want to drive around with Diamond corners and foggy headlights forever ya know? I looked into the glass projectors and really concidered it, but when I came accross that 1 peice headlight I knew I wanted that, Just personal taste.

Unfortunatly I feel like I (And others who have bought these) are pioneering the market because none of us know who makes these, none of us know who to call when it doesnt work right and none of us know who to call when something breaks that shouldnt have.
I feel that these headlights would be make a million times better if they only made them out of glass and metal, then I am sure that there would be no problems. And to be quite honest, I thought these were glass when I bought them, I even e-mailed SEVERAL ebay stores that were selling these and NONE could write me back and tell me what they were, I had a couple write me back saying "I dont know, I would guess glass" meaning these drop ship from somewhere and dont even lay their hands on these products.

Aside from all that crap I still love my headlights

-eric-
Old 07-31-2005, 02:31 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

I have agree w/ Neo...I have the projectors off ebay...one of them did have moisture in it. I dried it out w/ hairdryer (3 seconds) and the put clear silicone around the glass lens. Kind of crappy, yes..but the big thing is i spend very little on these. Some people like to spend a lot of money for the "little" things. I prefer to buy the cheaper one, do what i have to do (which in this case was use the girlfriends blow dryer for 3 seconds and a 2.00 tube of silicone) and in the end have something that looks great and would never no the difference. So, you can say they "suck", but for the price and if you happen to have a small leak, fix it OR spend like 250 for a pair of headlights. I would rather put cash towards HP's.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/6699/0FEFB92AB3074C13A4AA7E531C5E4C52.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-31-2005, 05:12 AM
doobs
4th Gear Member

i love the front lights on 94-98 stangs. i like those projectors and their probably alot brighter than stock
Old 07-31-2005, 09:26 AM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

So do projector headlights actually project further than normal? Are you giving up any close range or width?

~orion6g
Old 08-01-2005, 08:50 PM
rockin95
1st Gear Member

im glad you like them eric. hopefully more companies will start coming out with the one peice projectors soon. i decided to go with these

http://secure.50resto.com/product1.c...Category_ID=90

although i would love to put those 1 peice projectors on,
i like the 1 year warranty from 50resto.com

i think they will look pretty slick on my black stang.

if you ever get a pic of yours email it to me.

matt

Quick Reply: projector headlights