General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

RWD How To?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:12 PM
TheMustang000

Default RWD How To?

Hi all I wnat to get a Mustang but the one thing that makes me worry is driving a RWD in the snow/ice and skiddings occuring.

What is the corret way to control a Mustang in a skid.. I heard you should never slam the breaks. I know for FWD you ease into the break and steer the opposite direction to realign.

For a RWD I heard you do the opposite and actually accerate a little bit, then do you ease into the break, and also guessing you steer the way you are going?

Please help convince me, cause I am confused about RWD never driving one
Old 02-28-2010, 12:49 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

first move some where that doesnt have snow...second buy a mustang
Old 02-28-2010, 02:12 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

its not that hard...i dont drive my mustang in the winter but thats not for that reason, id rather not get the wet salty sandy **** on it...anyways, just drive slow and steady, its not that different, if ur rearend kicks out kick in the clutch to snap it back in place. if it goes to spin just turn your wheels in the direction you want the car to go. just take it to an abandoned parking lot and drift it on the snow and youll get an idea. a mustang is just like a rwd truck or any other rwd car.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:18 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

accelerating would be counter productive as that would only fuel you to spin farther, but it is true you can control the drift with the gas, but not smart in that scenario where you have no traction...i couldnt get the edit post button to work
Old 02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The easiest way in ANY car is to ease completely off the throttle and let the car straighten itself back out. Turning into the skid can help, but if you hook back up it can lead to an over correcting situation. Generally you want to just ease out of the throttle though, and if the car doesn't recover then you were driving too fast for the conditions and/or have the wrong tires.

The correct tires and driving lessons go a long way. If you can find a place that does skidcar training that'd be the best, since they'll teach you how to actually control a car in a skid.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

i drive mine in the snow- its actually a lot of fun. if you skid, just turn into the skid and give it a little gas. A little practice in a parking lot will go a long way
Old 03-03-2010, 03:42 AM
Unsullied_Spy
1st Gear Member

I never drive mine in the snow because of the crap they use to melt the snow, even in MT where we don't use salt there is still sand on the road for traction and I won't risk my paint like that. The best advice I can give you for driving anything on snow/ice is don't make any quick movements on the wheel and never jab the throttle or brakes. If you feel the car getting unstable, you're going way too fast and need to slow down. If the rear end gets loose just put in the clutch and it should straighten itself out, counter-steering isn't always required. Just be smooth, smart, get good tires, and get some weight over the rear tires for traction and you should be fine. It helps to go out to a snowy parking lot when nobody is around and just practice driving, my Dad taught me how to drive but I learned to DRIVE in an icy parking lot.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 AM
brandonse24

snows not to bad, here in the mountians of wv i drive mine daily in all weather and can honestly say i have never lost control of my car in bad weather. as long as your careful its fine but when im out having fun and break loose i just let off the gas and she comes right back.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

There is no way I could write out a driving on snow lesson here but your throttle technique is backwards.

Front or rear drive. Avoid braking during a skid. In a rear drive, release the throttle. It will give your rear wheels traction and help the car stop sliding sideways.
For front drive, throttle will actually help pull the car straight.
Either front or rear, always steer in the direction you are trying to go.

I have a 93 with 4 very aggressive soft compound snow/ice tires. It stops, steers and accelerates about 900 time better than with it's summer performance tires when in the snow.
Seems to me you are concerned with losing control while at speed with your Mustang. I carpool with a guy who also has a Mustang. It's a 94 V6 but he only has snow tires on the back. It's limited on steering and braking but it's stable as a Dart on the highway.
It may seem backwards from common knowledge but snows only on the back of a front wheel drive also makes for killer stability in snow or ice.