General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Emissions requirements?!?! Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:22 AM
IL66

Default RE: Emissions requirements?!?! Please help.

As the owner of a classic mustang-based Ford/Mercury product ('67 Cougar) I frequently check out this forum for performance information. What set me off to subscribe was Shifty's inappropriate use of using his/hers children's well being in relation to vehicle emissions laws. GIVE ME A BREAK!

I'd be in agreement with Shifty if we were talking about a modern vehicle, certainly much later than the pre-1973 era from which this one apparenlty was produced. For those of us with late-model, street-driven muscle there is no reason that we shouldn't be able to use the technology that we have to power-up while still easily meeting the required emissions standards. My '05 Saleen says it all. 'Nuff said.

I happen to collect a few older cars, two of which fall into the 1971-1973 range, which still require regular emissions testing in order for me to keep my registration without the restrictions associated with the antique plates. Antique registration would disallow me from driving the vehicles unless I'm going to a show or the shop. My cars pass the tests, but with inconvenience and sometimes what seems like meaningless difficulty. My cars are restored and as modified (better fuel delivery, ignition, and exhaust) do achieve much better exhaust emissions than required with or without the required factory emissions equipment. They actually acheive better emissions than is required of most '80's cars. These cars see less than 1000 miles in a year. It's difficult to believe that a significant number of these cars remain in existance that there is any negative contribution at all to air quality. Why should emissions testing be required on cars that are more than 30 years old, or 25 for that matter? What's the point! It's costing you and me money!

We're not talking about computer chips, manifolds, throttle-bodies, or catalytic converters. We're talking about early-era emissions-reducing crap that was invented almost forty years ago by an industry that was pressured into doing someting about the potential effects of a product that it sold that created carbon monoxide, which contributed to smog. Mind you that this was all in the midst of an oil crisis, which aside the absence of long lines at the gas pump, seems like nothing compared to today. We just pay more at the pump to meet our demands now. Mind you that this was also during a pollution crisis. We all know now (besides a few people in California) that the real reasons for the devastating air pollution was all that untreated stuff billowing, unregulated from the smokestacks of industry and untreated effluent being dumped into our waters. The automotive industry reacted to the craze by making changes to compression ratios and everything else. And this was back in the day when every car on the road was pumping out exhaust without EGR and catalytic converters. What, were you two or three at the time and don't remember? Oooooh, and then there was the vapor canister. How many of these cars are still on the road today and how many one-trillionths of a percent do they contribute to pollution of the air we beathe? Does it really do us taxpayers any good to pay for some stupid, minimum wage schlack to visually inspect for a vapor canister or EGR valve and create a controversy over a classic car that is not driven every day? For one of my cars, I explain at every test that the fuel tank was replaced with an aftermarket tank with a different neck and that (s)he needs to use the yellow gas cap adapter rather than the blue one to test my cap and (s)he still tries the blue one first and fails me because it wasn't what the book told him/her to use. Come on! I've got into the habit of bringing the car titles and receipts from my restorations into the test center with me and they don't even care to look at any of it. The last time I brought my Lexus in for testing the employee called the manager over because my vehicle was leaking fliuds all over the floor. Well, it was a 90 degree day with 90% humidity and needless to say he AC was keeping the car at a cool 70. Of couse there was alot of condensation dripping! I've tried different facilities and the result is all the same. They're all just looking for some reason to get you on something. They're looking for some reason to make their pay at our expense. And they don't even realize it, they're doing what the law says.

Let's put it all in perspective. Where were you? Here's the real deal: Long in the past, concern for public health and our consumption of natural resources has lead to reaction by the automotive industry, being reliant on gas. This prompted the automotive manufacturer's use of already available technology to increase economy and reduce harmfull emissions. Done. The demand on intake, not only emissions, is what set the ball into play. The emisssions laws came laterr. The emissions equipment on cars 40 years ago that might have meant something then but doesn't mean squat now. Gas cars on the road now are as efficient as they'll ever be. The laws have effectively taken the poorly maintained and outdated daily-beaters off the road. Now, the laws have more to do with keeping our old cars off the road and keeping their existance (jobs) alive and taking our money than they do with protecting your child's future. You're child's future depends more on what is happening now than what has already been done, so teach them that! Finally, if you think that your kids' future is in any way protected by State-regulated vehicle emissions, you are absolutely nuts! I have an environmental engineering degree and have made enough money off this crap to not give a rats behind any more, but I still do. And, I just want to drive my cars on the roads. With my modifcations, they do better on emissions than they did from the factory. Why are these cars still the subject of such scrutiny? 1st gear member? I may be a newbie here but my gear is already in sixth. Get a clue, before it's too late for your kids to benefit from it! Or maybe you don't give a s--- if your kids ever see a piece of history on the open road.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:33 AM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

holy crap thats a long post!!! [sm=jawdrop.gif]
Old 08-08-2006, 02:52 AM
YouGiveMeRash!!!
2nd Gear Member

You could find an inspection station to pass it for you. I know of some shops that'll pass anything for a slightly higher fee around here (normally it's like $30, but they'll let it slide for $55), but you live 10 hours away from me so I couldn't help ya. Just look around and smooth talk them.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:43 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

The people doing the test are idiots I can say that. Ive had a car fail after we replaced some parts and checked emissions. You could breath out this tailpipe it was so clean. So the customer takes it in for the retest and it fails!. They come in with the papers and the graph looks all messed up like the guy was punching the throttle to get it up to speed. So we recheck to our equicpment, still looks good, make no changes, take it in ourselves and it fast passes with flying colors.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:52 AM
nismotunedgtr
2nd Gear Member

In New Hampshire anything older than 1997 doesn't get emision tested.

Good thing cause my mothers Explorer has no cats