General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hit Brakes - Car goes Left

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Ford68pony

Default Hit Brakes - Car goes Left

Hopefully someone knows what might be going on...

I am also hoping this is just a bleeder problem, I haven't had a chance to bleed the brakes yet. But when I press on my brakes the car wants to start going left. Now this isn't too bad a problem as I can counterstear when in my small town, but if I have to hit the brakes on the main road (higher speeds) which I have not been on yet, this could be very very bad... The car was sitting for about 3 years before I got it running again... Anyone got any idears?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2005, 01:37 PM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hit Brakes - Car goes Left

Is it only when you hit the brakes the car wants to go left? It could be out of alignment, or uneven tire or brake wear. Like you said though you might need to just bleed the air out of the lines. Do you have to push the pedal further than normal? Cause that would be the air you need to bleed.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:42 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

You really need to bleed your brakes, you shouldn't be driving it like that. But anyways, if you car steers to the left when you press on the brakes you need to check your right side brakes (it's probably the rear), but it's probably due to the fact that you have lots of air in them. Go bleed your brakes! You're not only putting your self in danger but your putting other people in danger too.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:48 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

bleeding it will not help most likely but it could ,it could be a sticky caliper on the left side so it isn't releasing all the way and pulling.When vehicles sit the piston on the caliper gets rust on it and sticks or freezes
Old 07-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Ford68pony

I know it is not uneven wear... The brakes worked fine prior to the car sitting. I was thinking on the bleeding of the brakes or a stuck brake also. As for me beoing out on the road for this, no worries, I'm only running it around the block for tuning purposes.... I'm not stupid folks, contrary to what my wife says. The car doesn't drift to the left while I am driving. It just simply jerks to the left once I start pressing down on my brakes. Tat is the current problem I am having. So I will bleed the brakes first before starting to work on the brakes themselves.. I am stll running on drum brakes.. Fun stuff. I just wanted to get backup on what I was thinking in my head... Thanks folks.

Old 07-31-2005, 10:10 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

I think the ones that were so worried about you driving are the one that didnt have a answer for you so that was it
Old 08-01-2005, 12:16 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Actually I was the only one that was concerned about him and other people on the road. I perceived the thought that he was driving it around more than around the block and it was drifting on the road. BTW I did give him an answer, so where's yours?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:55 AM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

Now now children. Let's all play nice. While we're on this topic, how do I bleed my brakes. I'm going to be doing the same thing tomorrow. I will also check how to do in in my haynes manual but I'd also like to hear it in someone else's words too.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:54 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

I would guess its your right front caliper that is frozen. It sounds like your left is doing its job and your right caliper isnt, hence pulling to your left. It may have been fine when put up, but sitting can be just as hard on car parts as high mileage driving, so just because it was fine before you parked it really doesnt mean much. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:02 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

bleeding your breaks is easy, just a lil hard to describe in txt online!

make sure you have a buddy to help you with it, as sum1 will need to hit the brakes

as the other person is "bleeding" them

the only tools you will need are the same tools that get your wheels off and a wrench

Quick Reply: Hit Brakes - Car goes Left